[book 2] chapter twenty-one: blackout

Depuis le début

"He told us what happened," Niko explained. "We're going to go to the kitchen and you lovebirds make nice, okay?" My idiot brothers scurried out of the living room before I could protest.

James shoved his hands in his pocket as he stood in place. "Can I sit?"

"You've already intruded my house so suit yourself."

"Daniella, be polite," Brenton called from the kitchen.

I rolled my eyes. "Sure, sit."

James sat on the edge of the couch and looked at me, his grey eyes filled with sadness. "Dani..." He paused. "I'm honestly so—"

I had spent all of this time trying to forget about him but seeing him in front of me made all of my emotions resurface. Before he could finish his sentence, I found myself leaning forward and throwing my arms around him.

"How'd you even know what I was going to say?" he asked as I slowly felt his arms pull me into his embrace.

"Shut up," I responded. "And me too."

"I felt so awful after what I said to you and for not showing up to the dessert thing," he said into my hair. "I suck, don't I?"

I shook my head. "No, I do. And I don't want to give up on us, you mean so much to me."

James looked down at me and interlaced his fingers with mine. "I'm sorry for making you feel like you were my second choice. If you want, I'll distance myself from Leila."

As much as I wanted him to, I knew I couldn't. After all, James was right, I was a selfish person and it was about time I stopped. "I don't have the right to make you choose. She's your friend."

He rested his forehead against mine so that the tips of our noses were touching. "I hope you know how much I love you."

"I love you, too." I pressed my lips against his and he kissed me back instantly. Our kiss was cut short when Brenton stuck his hands in between and pushed our faces away, separating us.

"Alright, kids, break it up," he said.

Niko beamed at us. "I love a good makeup story. Now that you two are okay, I'm going to let everyone else in!"

I gave him a questioning look. "Everyone else?"

Niko opened the door and Holden and Vanessa came inside, followed by Amber and Leila. Brenton and I instantly turned to look at Niko. "Seriously?" we said simultaneously.

"That twin telepathy never ceases to amaze me," Holden said in awe.

Niko smacked both of our heads. "We have guests, twins, don't be dicks."

Brenton swatted his hand away. "Screw this, I'm going upstairs."

"Me too."

"No, you're not." James wrapped his arms around my waist to hold me in place before I could leave. I turned to frown at him, and he kissed my forehead. Niko also stopped Brenton from leaving, which was fair. If I had to suffer then so did he.

"What a bummer," Vanessa said, pointing outside the door. "I thought we were going to go to the beach."

Niko shook his head. "Not in this weather."

While I didn't have a replacement for the beach I thought of a suggestion to appease everybody. "Why not the base..." Brenton clamped his hand over my mouth before I could finish.

Vanessa looked at Niko expectantly. "Sure, why not?"

"No way," Brenton interjected, his hand still over my mouth. "That's my man-cave."