89: One-Shot

Author: sqiderbitch
Nightmare

Yami bolted up in a cold sweat, panting. He struggled to control his breathing and racing heart as he looked around the room.

He had stayed from the afterlife when Yugi had defeated him in the Ceremonial Duel, keeping his body and staying with Yugi and his grandfather.
But no matter how hard he tried, he couldn't escape the guilt that the Seal of Orichalcos had brought upon him. It often plagued his sleep like this and normally he wouldn't seek comfort.

Actually, he never sought for comfort, but this time he had to make sure it was indeed, a nightmare.

So he walked out of his room and tiptoed quietly over to Yugi's room. He slowly opened the door and winced as it creaked a little loudly.

The small bundle in the bed stirred slightly and Yami chuckled lightly as his partner's tri-colored pointy hair became the only thing visible.

Yami felt an involuntary wave of relief flood over him at the sight of his partner.

... His partner. His Aibou. His Yugi.
Yugi didn't know.. But Yami loved him with all of his heart and soul. He had stayed here instead of leaving to the afterlife because of his friends and Duel Monsters.. But he mostly stayed because of Yugi.

Yami watched Yugi a little longer and turned to leave when he tripped on nothing and tumbled to the ground.

"Yami..?" A quiet voice called sleepily from the room.
'Dammit. Look what you did, Yami. You woke him up..' Yami thought hatefully to himself.

Yugi slowly crawled out of bed and stumbles over to Yami. "Yami, are you okay..?" He held out a hand to his darker half and Yami took it gently.

"I am fine, Aibou. I just tripped is all."
"What were you doing over here?" Yugi yawned quietly and Yami chuckled slightly and fought the urge to hug him. "I... Well.."
"... Was it another nightmare?" Yugi looked at him, his eyes concerned.
"How did you know-?" Yugi frowned. "Yami, I've always known since you've first started having these nightmares..." He hugged Yami tightly. "I just figured that since you were already haunted by it in your sleep, you wouldn't want me to remind you of it in the day time. But.. Yami you dont have to worry about that anymore. It's over. You defeated Dartz and he's long gone." Yami smiled softly as he returned the embrace of his Hikari.

"Yugi... There's something I've been meaning to tell you for.. A long while. And personally, I think that's why I've been having these nightmares. Because I'm afraid if I don't tell you, I'll lose you again before I get the chance.."

Yugi looked at him curiously. "What is it, Yami..?"

"Aibou.. I love you.. With all my heart and soul. I love you more than anything," Yami gulped, extremely nervous at how he would take it.

Yugi just smiled softly and hugged him again. "... I love you too, Yami."

Yami looked down at his partner in surprise. "You do?"
Yugi looked up at him and smiled sweetly. "I always have. You've always been there for me no matter what. You're my Mou Hitori no Boku. And I love you with all of my heart," Yugi winked and giggled. "and soul." He added.

Yami thought over this for awhile, hoping this wasn't a dream. Yugi giggled and leaned up, softly kissing Yami.

Yami quickly responded and pulled away. "... It's still late. We should get to bed."
Yugi looked at him shyly. "D-Do you maybe.." He fiddled with his hands.

Yami went by instinct and picked Yugi up, bridal style, carrying him to his room.

Yugi giggled quietly all the way there and the two slept together, free from any harm or troublesome nightmares.