Chapter 7- The Regional Competition

We ran into the auditorium just after the Sockapellas started singing. I looked around, watching the routine with curiosity.

"Acappella out of sock puppets?" Fat Amy questioned. "Genius."

"It's making a statement."

"There's no art there. Watching them will make you worse." Aubrey shook her head.

They finished their routine, and they walked offstage. "Hands in. Remember, 'ah' on three. One, two-"

Half of us didn't do it because we were confused. I shook my head, fixing my scarf before walking up with the group onto the stage.

Aubrey blew her pitch pipe, and we started singing. I used my muscle-memory and did the same steps everyone else was doing. I smiled when Aubrey finished the first part.

Chloe took the second part. It sounded like a lullaby. The beat quickly changed, and the mic was handed to Amy. The crowd cheered as Amy exaggerated her words. I smiled as she finished with splitting her shirt open, revealing her white spaghetti-strap top.

I smiled as I looked over at the Trebles. Donald, Andy, and Jesse were clapping. Andy pulled me away from the group, hugging me quickly.

"Good luck," I said, before I walked away with the Bellas.

I cheered as the Treblemakers went on stage. Andy was part of the front.

"Ladies and gentlemen, the moment we've all been waiting for. The results of tonight's Regional Competition. In third place, the Sockapellas. In second place, and advancing to this year's Semi-Finals, the Barden Bellas! And the winner of tonight's competition, holding their title, The Barden University Treblemakers!" the man announced.

Bumper ran up to the stage and grabbed the trophy. I cheered for my brother and the rest of the group.

We started walking out of the auditorium when we noticed the Treblemakers and Tonehangers fighting.

"I'm just gonna... I'm just going to check on them," Beca said, grabbing my hand.

"Hey, hey!" I yelled as I pushed the guy away from my brother. I looked over at Donald and noticed he was fighting, too. I debated whether I should go help him or stay when I heard a shatter.

"Come on." Donald grabbed my hand, running away from the scene with me.

I looked back and saw Andy following behind us. I sighed in relief that we were safe. The problem was, Beca wasn't.

"There are my kids!"

"Mom!" I said, smiling brightly as I let go of Donald's hand.

She hugged me tightly, hugging Andy afterward. "Why were you running?"

"Um... There was a group of people, the Tonehangers. They were starting a fight, and the Bellas tried to intervene, and then the trophy was broken, and then a window was shattered," I explained nervously.

"In her defense, she saved me from getting socked," Andy defended me.

Mom smiled. "I'm glad Bumper and Aubrey decided not to have you two forced to be rivals."

"No way is that happening." Andy shook his head.

"Okay, I'm going to let you two go. But you two did incredible. Your father says hi, I love you, both of you." Mom smiled.

"We love you too," Andy and I said as Mom walked away.

Donald grabbed my hand, walking me out of the building. I looked back and saw Mom smiling at me. We turned the corner, walking into the parking lot. Donald got in his car as I waved. He rolled down his window.

"Get in." Donald smiled.

I blushed as I got in the passenger seat. We held hands, interlocking our fingers as he used our hands to control the stick. I let my head fall back onto the headrest. The rest of the girls were probably heading back with their parents, or getting a ride from another. Or simply driving back to campus on their own.

"Are you okay with this?" Donald asked uncertainly.

"Of course." I nodded. "Aubrey doesn't need to know everything."

Stacie grabbed me when I was about to enter our dorm, bringing me to Beca's room. We sat on her bed, waiting. When she finally got here, we welcomed her.

"What up, shaw-shank?" Amy greeted her.

"Did you get yourself a bitch?" Cynthia-Rose asked.

"Did they spray you with a hose?" Amy added.

"You guys waited up for me?" Beca questioned.

"Of course we waited up for you." Chloe nodded.

"They've been here for hours. It's a real inconvenience, Beca," her roommate spat, leaving the room.

"Beca, I'm glad you're here. I'm calling an emergency Bella meeting. First up, our score sheet revealed that the Sockapellas almost beat us. And Fat Amy? You need to do it exactly how we rehearsed it, okay? No surprises," Aubrey explained.

"We should be taking risks. Not enough to be good. We need to be different," Beca disagreed.

"Beca's right. The Trebles never sing the same song twice," Cynthia-Rose agreed.

"The audience loves the Trebles. They tolerate us. We could change the face of acappella... Oh my god, what is happening to me? Um, let me show you this arrangement I've been working on," Beca explained.

"You're into this stuff?" I smiled, walking over to the desk. "That's so cool. I mostly use it to make a song Andy and I have been working on."

"It's cool, right?" Beca asked.

"It is," I agreed.

"Okay, I have the pitch pipe, and I say we focused on the set list as planned. From now on, there will be no more wasting time on work, or school, or boyfriends, or- partners. Sorry, Cynthia-Rose," Aubrey explained.

"But, Aubrey, this stuff is pretty cool. I mean-" I started.

"Okay, rehearsal tomorrow. Eight a.m. sharp," Aubrey cut me off.