Chapter 4- Stranger In The Mirror

Start from the beginning

"Do you really think someone will try and take him as soon as their backs are turned?" Gwyn asked worriedly.

"No, I don't. It's mainly a precaution I am taking for Rhysand's peace of mind." Cassian admitted as he swept her up in his arms. Gwyn nodded in understanding. Tonight was a big step for the High Lord and High Lady, she hoped they could enjoy their time away and not worry too much.

Gwyn watched the buildings and homes of Velaris drift past as they flew leisurely through the crisp air. It was not quite spring, but small hints of green already poked through remaining snow piles here and there. Soon,Velaris would be bursting with color.

If I can make it through tonight. She thought quietly to herself. Then I can venture out soon and explore these city streets.

It was a promise that she had made to herself multiple times over the past couple of years since moving here from Sangravah. Yet this time she knew she meant it.

"What's going on in that giant brain of yours?" Cassian inquired.

"Oh nothing..." She smoothly lied. "Just thinking about how tonight will be such good parenting practice for you."

Cassian's cheeks reddened slightly and she let out a giggle.

Gwyn knew very well that he and Nesta planned to wait a while before trying for a child of their own, but she couldn't help but tease the general about it from time to time. He would make a great father, of which Gwyn was certain.

"Yes..." He finally responded. "It will be good practice... but I prefer the practicing Nesta and I already do. I have to make sure we get the baby making part down first." He winked at her suggestively.

Gwyn scoffed. "Leave it to a male to turn a conversation about children into sex."

She felt Cassian's chest rumble with laughter. "Aww Gwynnie do we need to have the talk about where children come from? You see when a female loves a male very much..." He didn't get to finish his teasing as Gwyn smacked her hand over his mouth, silencing him.

Her plan worked for all of a second before she felt Cassian lick her palm. She pulled her hand away in disgust. The look of horror on her face just made Cassian laugh harder.

Much to Gwyn's dismay, he was still laughing when they landed in front of the River Estate. She stood with her hands on her hips waiting for him to compose himself.

"Are you quite finished?"

She watched him as he feigned wiping tears from his eyes. "You're just too easy, Gwyn."

"Yeah, I'm just like your mother in that way aren't I?" she snapped back. Gwyn watched in satisfaction as his eyes widened at her words.

When he didn't respond quickly she started to panic. "I didn't...I mean it's just a..." He held up his hand, his once shocked expression was now replaced with one of pride.

"Atta girl, Berdara!" he praised. "The student is becoming the master." he put his hands together and bowed.

She rolled her eyes at his dramatics. "Can we just go inside now? I have a party to get ready for."

"Alright, alright. Let's go, I forget how much time it takes you ladies to be presentable."

The High Lord's and High Lady's River Estate is something of true beauty. It isn't Gwyn's first time there but it is the first time she has ever explored more than just the living and dining areas.

Cassian led her up the stairs and down the hall before coming to a stop in front of a plain wooden door.

"Here we are, Ness said to send you up to Feyre's room today, it's the only one with enough space for you all to get ready." he casually mentioned just as Gwyn was about to knock.