"And now that you've earned the points for that very gracious consideration," Fiona's eye twitched in irritation. "Will you tell me what happened? Have you spoken to him?"

The poultice bowl was set aside as Riordan poured her a glass of water from a crystal decanter on the bedside table. "Xander told us right after he found you, so I had the chance to speak with Baird at the ball before I came."

Fiona looked uneasy. "What did you tell him?"

Dan cast her a sideways glance as he passed the glass. "I'm not stupid, Fiona." He watched her drink intently, as though she might suddenly cry out or faint if he looked away for even a moment.

"Baird was really worried, the poor lamb. If I'd told him the truth, he might well have gone to his father with it," he sighed. "I said there was a family emergency, and that you were tending to a very dear cousin. To his credit, he had enough wit to look suspicious."

"I thought you liked him!" Fiona laughed incredulously.

"Of course I do. But you can't deny that for a High Lord's son he's shockingly...innocent." Dan recovered his usual charm with a great, blinding grin. "Some day, it's going to get him in trouble. A girl like you might come along and eat him alive."

Fiona beamed back.

"That's the plan."

*

Lunch was served on the rooftop of the townhouse by a pair of females wreathed in shadow. Fiona was delighted to discover that not only did her ribs no longer hurt, but she could walk and eat just fine. Some old woman indeed.

Bella had come soon after Riordan, and spent most of the morning asking for detailed descriptions of Fiona's cousins so that next time she saw them she could give them her 'regards'. When it came time for lunch Fiona had wanted desperately to go out and find a spot to eat by the docks, but under strict orders from Madja, her friends refused. So they settled instead for the rooftop, with a veritable feast of pies, soups and cured meats to aid her recovery.

Xander joined them halfway through, and Gabriel dropped down from the skies beside him.

"We've just come from the riverhouse." Gabriel said, by way of greeting. His soft features were drawn in an expression that looked unusually severe on him. "We were talking with Nyx."

Well, that explained the black cloud hovering above Xander.

"He's not exactly happy." Gabriel glanced nervously at his cousin.

Fiona wasn't sure if he was referring to Xander or his brother, but she stopped chewing on the sweet bread in her hand. "Not happy...about me?"

Xander conjured up a pair of lounge chairs and dropped into one, leaving the other, which was carved for wings, to Gabriel. Bella passed the Prince a butter-crusted pastry, which he refused.

"He was at court this morning." Xander locked eyes with Fiona. That curious guarded look had returned, sitting like cement in the clench of his jaw. Gabriel gestured for Bella to pass him the pastry, which he gobbled down silently - as silently as any person could gobble pastry.

Xander continued. "Fortunately, most of the other courts had already departed, but apparently Eris caused quite the scene."

"Of course he did." Fiona muttered.

"He acyoozed Rhys-"

All eyes fell on Gabriel as he attempted to swallow the mouthful of flakey pastry he'd been speaking around. He smiled sheepishly and tried again. "He accused Rhys in front of the remaining Lords."