twenty nine

author: recommended songs to listen to!

• into the fire - erin mccarley
• hold on - chord overstreet
• all i want - kodaline
• chasing cars - the wind and the wave
• you can let go now daddy - patricia maguire

THE RIDE TO THE HOSPITAL was the longest car ride of lauren, justin, and meredith's life. the hospital derek was at wasn't even as far as their family cabin, but the ride there felt like an eternity.

the world is so fucking cruel, was the only thing running through lauren's mind right now. derek was happy, she and justin felt closer to their father than ever. he literally took some time off work this summer just to be able to spend time with his kids because he knew he and mer were going to be empty nesters soon. and it was one of the best summer's of her life and now? she wasn't even sure if her father was going to make it.

she looked back at everything they went through, dance recitals, him teaching her how to ride a bike, teaching her how to fish, taking her out to go to a taylor swift concert. derek's job required a very tight and demanding schedule, but he always made it a point to be there for his kids.

"hey you okay?" derek asked, walking into his daughter's room early in the morning after hearing about jaeden and lauren's fight from justin.

"no" lauren replied curtly, hugging her pillow before wiping her tears on the pillow case. sighing deeply, derek took a seat on the edge of his daughter's bed, running his fingers through her hair before asking

"what happened?"

"i think he's cheating on me" she sniffled, burying her face her blanket. derek pressed his lip into a thin line, shaking his head at the blonde before saying

"he's not cheating on you"

"you don't know that"

"i think i do. he's into you laur, he would never" he assured her, threading his fingers through the knots in her blonde locks, untangling some of them too.

"but you never know with guys. what if he fooled you too? he's a good actor. a great one even."

"i know. but he seems genuine. trust me laur, i know when a guy's into someone. i see it with your uncle jackson and aunt april. i saw with your uncle alex and aunt jo. i see it in justin and lexie. jaeden's? about as smitten for you as the rest of those guys are for their wives or girlfriends"

"i wish i could believe you"

"i'm sorry laur" he whispered, leaning forward to give her a quick kiss on her temple

"how about i buy you some of your favorite ice cream? would that make you feel better?"

"yes please"

"alright, chocolate fudge brownies from ben & jerry's coming right up" he said in a lighthearted tone, trying to brighten up her mood a little before ruffling her hair, before rising from her bed to get lauren her ice cream.

lauren quickly wiped the single tear that fell from her eye, reminding herself to be optimistic like her father had always told her to. impulsively, she grabbed the hand of the person next to her, jaeden. the brunet exhaled deeply, wrapping his arm around his girlfriend before planting a kiss on the top of her head, whispering

"he's going to make it"

"but what if he doesn't?"

"he will"