23 | Whatever the Hell This Is

Start from the beginning

Scorpius, not really needing anything from the shop, silently trailed behind Hermione as she snatched one book from another. She also bought some new parchments and ink pots and other studying materials she would surely need for the impending end-of-term exams.

"You do know that there is a high chance that the Second Wizarding War would be happening soon, yes?" he asked, amused at how things started to precariously wobble in her arms. He immediately rescued her shaking arms by relieving her of some of the materials. "Dumbledore might cancel the end-of-term exams, you know."

Hermione skidded into a halt and Scorpius peered at her face. Horror was clearly etched on her face, prompting him to chuckle.

"No," she squeaked. "I didn't think of that!"

She contemplated loudly whether she should continue buying these new materials, and Scorpius insisted that these things may actually come in handy by the time they started planning for the imminent battle.

By the time they left Flourish and Blotts, Hermione was sombre.

"Err... sorry," Scorpius said, massaging the back of his neck in guilt. "I shouldn't have brought up the... erm, you know... when we're supposed to be relaxing and not thinking about serious, adult matters today."

Hermione smiled and shook her head. "It's alright," she said. "I needed that since I'm getting ahead of myself."

She had been quiet ever since and Scorpius had no idea how to dispel the suddenly distressing and awkward atmosphere.

To cheer her up, he suggested drinking butterbeer in the Three Broomsticks, which she thankfully agreed to.

The Slytherin knew there would be lesser people now, seeing that the long lines in both Honeydukes and Zonko's were still present, but as he went inside the famous pub, he skidded into a sudden halt. His eyes immediately settled on a small table, where Pansy's unmistakable shiny hair and Goyle's atrocious table manners greeted him. It was only Blaise who saw him, and he was about to call him over, but Scorpius vigorously shook his head to stop him. Blaise frowned, peered at the person behind Scorpius, before realisation dawned. Rolling his eyes, Blaise shooed him away and Scorpius did not need to be told twice. He ushered Hermione out of the shop once more and firmly closed the door behind him.

"What's the matter?" Hermione asked with a frown. "Is it crowded inside?"

He shook his head and pulled her as far away from The Three Broomsticks as possible. "No, no, it's just that, err, my friends are inside," he explained. "I kind of told them I'll be meeting Astoria instead."

Scorpius expected Hermione to blow up in rage and accuse him of still prioritising his Scorpion King reputation above all else. But then, to his surprise, she merely sighed and shook her head. "I knew it," she simply said.

He was confused. "Knew what?"

"That you weren't exactly serious about this... this... whatever the hell you call this thing." She frowned. "I shouldn't have trusted you back then, especially since you're under the influence of Felix Felicis."

"What?" he asked, bewildered. "No, Granger, I was serious. It's just that—"

"—your Scorpion King image will be marred?" she helpfully supplied.

Scorpius scowled. "No, it's because you've never been friends with prejudiced prats and I'm sure if I told them who I'm really taking to Hogsmeade today, they'd go ballistic, owl their parents, and inevitably tell Voldemort." He tiredly shook his head and sighed. "Blimey, now I understood why my father had a terrible childhood."