11 | Chamber of Secrets

My Scorpius,

I have been doing brilliantly these past few days. I have maintained the manor well, despite your father's absence and the constant presence of the Dark Lord and his Death Eaters. These days had been difficult for the both of us, but worry not, my love, for I am happy and safe.

It has been a great honour to serve the Dark Lord and let him reside in our home. He had been nothing but a wonderful guest and of course, you know that your mother is ever the gracious host. The Dark Lord believes so.

You must not worry about me and focus on your studies and task. The Dark Lord constantly asks me about your wellbeing, and I always told him I am utterly proud of your achievements and progress. You must remember that the Dark Lord is a very impatient man, however, and I beseech you to hasten the reparation of the Vanishing Cabinet.

I miss you every day, Scorpius. Never forget that you are always in my heart.

Love,
Mother

Scorpius scowled, crumpling the sickening letter and pocketing it inside his school robes.

He knew his Nana meant well, but he hoped she did not sugarcoat her words. He knew from Snape, who never truly watered down anything, that Voldemort was terrorising his grandmother and their home. It was only because of Snape's constant warding that Narcissa wasn't hurt.

Scorpius had raised this issue with Dumbledore once, reasoning out that despite not being his mother and not really knowing a lot about his Nana, she was family. Scorpius still worried a lot about her and wanted to keep her safe and away from Voldemort.

But Dumbledore said it would arouse any suspicions if Narcissa was suddenly brought under the care of an Order member. He had thoroughly assured him that Snape was capable enough to take care of Narcissa. Besides, Voldemort wouldn't dare touch her until Scorpius was able to successfully fix the Vanishing Cabinet.

"You are his only chance of accessing Hogwarts," Dumbledore said. "Severus might be the most skilful of you two, and would undoubtedly finish this task within a few weeks, but Voldemort fears he is too close with me. He did not want to risk Snape and chose you instead."

With these thoughts in mind, Scorpius eased himself out of the black couch he was lounging on and shouldered his bag.

"Going somewhere, Scorpy-pie?" Pansy asked with a frown on her face.

"Library," he said. "Professor Snape asked me to research more about... you know."

Pansy's eyes widened in understanding. "I can help you!" she suggested, already standing up from her seat.

"No!" he cried. The Slytherin girl looked wounded, and Scorpius hastily came up with an excuse. "It's... confidential and dangerous. I wouldn't want you to get involved in this, Pansy."

Her eyes lit up, delighted. "Oh, Scorpy-pie, you are sweet," she cooed, standing on her tiptoes to give him a peck on his cheek. Horrified, Scorpius backpedalled and Pansy almost toppled towards the floor.

"Right, okay, I must go," he said, already scampering away before she could latch on with her talons and refuse to let go. It was a pity, really. She was damn beautiful but so annoying. He wondered what he could do to stop her from deluding herself that they were the perfect match.

All thoughts of Pansy were forgotten once he strode inside the library. Madame Pince lifted an eyebrow at his arrival, but the Malfoy heir merely gave her a smirk. He then proceeded to saunter towards the Restricted Section and grabbed as many books with promising titles as possible.