23 | Whatever the Hell This Is

He had been awake for a while now, and yet, Scorpius could not get his arse out of his bedroom.

His roommates had already left for Hogsmeade weekend and although he still had fifteen minutes to spare before he had to meet Granger in front of the gates of Hogwarts, he just could not bring himself to leave. It was like his legs weren't cooperating with him today, too paralysed by a fear he did not understand.

'It's a simple Hogsmeade weekend!' Al-the-Inner-Voice exclaimed in his mind. 'It's not as if you'll be going to war.'

Scorpius scowled. 'I feel like I'd rather go to war instead,' he thought. His eyes widened, though, upon realising what he said and hastily took it back. It was not the right time to think about stuff like that, now that he was sure war was looming and Voldemort would surely realise that Scorpius had been disloyal to him ever since he was branded.

Sighing, he finally dragged himself out of his bedroom and even congratulated himself when he was able to stumble out of the Slytherin dungeons. Blessedly, Pansy and his other friends were already out of Hogwarts. Pansy had been begging him incessantly to come with them, but he had to hastily reply that he couldn't since he was taking Astoria to Hogsmeade once more. The look of shock on her face was priceless, and Scorpius was thankful for Blaise, since he managed to drag Pansy away from him before she made a scene.

The corridors were almost deserted, save from students below third year who couldn't go out during Hogsmeade weekend. Scorpius had been silently praying that Hermione had forgotten about his stupid suggestion and had ditched him to be with her friends. He was, after all, under the influence of Felix Felicis; she might think he was just an overconfident, smarmy git who believed he could do anything.

But no, oh no, by the time he reached the gates of Hogwarts there she was, patiently waiting for him.

Hermione still had not seen him and Scorpius took that opportunity to slow down and just quietly observe. From this angle, he could easily mistake her as Rose, what with that wild, lioness-like hair of hers.

Scorpius once again tried to convince himself that the reason why he was just doing this, asking her to accompany him to Hogsmeade out of the blue, was because she looked like Rose. Somehow, it made him remember of home, and although just for a little bit, it made his homesick heart at peace.

He mindlessly stepped on a twig, its resounding crack alerting Hermione of his approaching presence. She swivelled around and saw him, a relieved smile stretching widely on her face.

The Slytherin took a sharp intake of breath, and the image of Rose was shattered.

Now, all he could see was Hermione, and dear Merlin, was she beautiful.

"Godric, I thought you weren't coming!" she exclaimed once he finally reached her side.

"I came just in time," he replied as soon as he found his voice once more.

Hermione merely sighed and ushered him to start walking.

As they arrived in Hogsmeade, most of the students were inside shops. There was a new product being endorsed by Zonko's, so students were predictably crowding that shop. Honeydukes also boasted of new creations and the lines outside the shop were almost a mile long.

"Can we go to Flourish and Blott's first?"

Scorpius didn't bother hiding a small smile. Trust Hermione Granger to prioritise her beloved books over any new crazy inventions by the other shops.

"Of course."

There were a few people inside when they entered. Thankfully, no one would instantly recognise the two. Which was a feat, seeing that she was one-third of the Golden Trio and he was the Scorpion King. Anywhere they go, they would surely be recognised.