Chapter Fifteen-"The Lion and the Zebra"

Magsimula sa umpisa

"What was she like?" he asked.

"She was...perfect. She loved my dad and us, kids, and...life," I smiled at the thought of her. "She cared for everyone and everything. She was funny and incredibly...gorgeous and...remarkable . She's was my hero. Jem was too young to really miss her, but I miss her a lot now and then."

"She sounds amazing," Dastan commented.

"She was," I said with a smile.

"Just like you," Dastan muttered. With that, I had to look over at him and immediately, he started to twist his mouth in an attempt to form words. "I, uh...um. So what's your favorite animal?"

"I don't really know," I shrugged. I grew up around animals and I couldn't really fancy an animal outside of them. "What's yours?"

"Lions. Definitely lions," he smirked. He shook his hair and made his hand into a clawed paw to produce a lion roar. I busted out laughing.

"You did not just do that," I laughed. Unbelievable.

"I think I did, but you can't do anything about it," he said.

"Says who?" I asked.

"Says me," he proclaimed.

"Yeah right!"

"Can we go to the carousel now?" Jem's voice said out of nowhere. We looked back to him.

"You don't want to eat first?" I asked him.

"There's an awesome pizza place down the street," Dastan informed. Jem's face twisted as he made a decision.

"I think I'll just ride the carousel first," he chose before running off in that direction.

"Jem!"

"He'll be fine," Dastan cajoled. I couldn't help but be worried about my eleven year old brother running through crowds of people in a place where he'd never been before. I looked up to Dastan and all that worrying went away.

"I think we should at least walk in that general direction—"

"Nope," he denied. I was taken aback by his interruption. "It's time for you to figure out your favorite animal."

I gave him a second of my confused look and then he took my hand and pulled me through the zoo.

That time spent with Dastan was beyond unexpected. He was like some enthused spokesperson, trying to relate me to any and every animal so I could choose my favorite by the end of the day. He said things like: "Parrots; they like to backtalk just like you" or "The elephant; loud and hilarious. Did I mention you both belong in a circus!"

However, his comments didn't make me mad for once. They were...cute and in a joking manner that I couldn't be mad at. Of course we caught up with Jem and then the auctioning got even worse. The boys would stand in front of the cages and act like the animal; crawling on all fours with a growl or hopping around with some chirping noise. I loved every second of it though.

***

Dastan and Jeremy watched every bite I made to my lip and every sip I took from my Dr. Pepper. It was time.

"Undecided," I finally said.

"UGH!" both boys complained, throwing up their hands.

"It's not this complicated, Warden," Dastan said, taking a drink of his Root Beer.

"Yes it is," I reasoned.

"It's your favorite animal," Jem reminded. "Which one do you like the most?"