All is found

Fury had been questioning Anna for hours now. He wanted to know every single detail of how Anna had become and agent for Hydra and all the missions she had taken part in. He asked how Hydra had come to know of her abilities. Anna answered openly and honestly. She told Fury how she had known straight away it was a mistake to get involved with Hydra but by then it was already too late. She was their prisoner. She told him how she had tried to escape but had had that dream of breaking free beaten out of her.

Loki still sat with a bored expression on his face. He didn't seem to be paying attention to or listening to anything Anna was saying. Matt listened intently to Anna as Fogey took notes.

Fury then asked Anna about her childhood and growing up in foster care. Anna described the living hell of being placed from family to family. She told them how the last family were her breaking point. She couldn't take the neglect and beatings any longer and figured she'd be better alone. Fury then asked her about her magic and her past. Anna thought hard before answering.

"I've had these abilities for as long as I can remember." She told the men as she looked down at her hands.

"And what about your birth parents? Were they magical?" Fury questioned. "You were 4 when you were found in the 99th precinct. How did you get there?" Fury fired more questions at Anna.

"I....I don't know....." Anna sighed. She tried desperately to remember anything at all. "I sometimes see a man in my dreams....well nightmares really.....I don't know if he's real or not....it's maybe just my imagination but he looks like me."

Fury gave Anna an encourage look and waited for her to continue. Loki's interest peaked now. He studied this tiny human sitting across the table from him. She looked deathly pale and pathetic but her eyes were the most beautiful shade of green Loki had ever seen. Loki listened carefully as Anna continued her story.

"Look, I'm not trying to scam my way out of here or deceive anyone or anything. I'm just a girl who made a mistake...a huge mistake. I thought I saw a way off the streets but I was wrong. Oh so very wrong. I never wanted to hurt anyone....so just do with me what ever. Let me go, send me to the Raft...whatever. Anything's gotta be better than Hydra... right?" Anna hangs her head and examines an invisible spot on the table not wanting to make eye contact with anyone. She's exhausted and just wants this to be over. She's tired of answering questions and being judged.

"Thank you Miss Stewart, that'll be all for now. Barton!" Fury shouted. Clint came back into the room. "Escort Miss Stewart back to her cell please."

Anna stood and Clint showed her the way back to her cell.

*****

"She's telling the truth. I'm sure of it. Poor kid's just got mixed up with the wrong crowd. It's dire out there on the streets. I can't say I entirely blame her for jumping at the chance to get out." Matt explained to the room. All of the Avengers had joined Loki, Fury, Matt and Fogey in the conference room to decide the fate of Annabelle.

"I detected no lies from the draugr." Loki said matter of factly. "Her mind is a jumbled mess and chaotic but I saw no lies."

"Then she will be detained in our lower security facility for her crimes. She doesn't pose a threat" Fury concluded.

"Bit harsh even for you Fury. I've got a better idea." Tony said with a sly grin.

"What is it Stark?" Fury had little patience for the billionaire playboy and was ready to shoot down his proposal straight away.

"With a skill set such as hers she could be an amazing asset to the team. Let her work off her debt by working for us. Community service if you like." Tony suggested. His idea was met with murmured approval from his team mates. Tony had become impressed with the little thief as they had studied her work. He was intrigued and wanted to know more. He pretended to himself this was all in the name of science but in reality he had taken a shine to the kid and saw a little of himself in her. He wanted to help her.

"Have you lost your damn mind Stark? No way. I will not have a criminal being associated with the Avengers Initiative" Fury quickly answered.

"Loki has committed far worse crimes than the kid and you accept his help. You personally asked him here today." Black widow pointed out in Anna's defence.

"Loki was under the influence of another. His actions were not of his own." Thor quickly came to his brothers defence.

"Loki is an advisor as per the All Fathers wishes, not mines." Fury quipped back.

"Uh...hello? Yes I am still here " Loki waved mockingly. "No need to discuss me as if I am not in this room too."

"Then give Annabelle the same deal as Loki...." Tony started

"She could be under the watch of one of us at all times until a time she has proven she is someone we can trust..." Cap finished Tony's thought.

"And who do you suggest gets burdened with babysitting the little draugr?" Loki scoffed.

"You" Tony smirked

"Me?? Absolutely not! Out of the question. I am bound by my duty to aid with the problems of Midgard not babysit them!" Loki stated. Anger radiating off of him.

"You keep the kid on the straight and narrow and you can consider your debt fulfilled. If you screw up then you both end up in the slammer. It's a win win either way. What say you Patchy?" Tony gave Fury his brightest, cheesiest grin.

Fury rolled his eyes and sighed. He knew Tony wouldn't let this lie. He weighed up the options and agreed to the terms. Anna would be allowed to work with the Avengers under the watchful eye of Loki. One slip up from either of them would result in the both being shipped off to the Raft. Loki took a little more convincing but he could not give up an opportunity to win his freedom back. He would help the girl but he didn't have to like it.

****

Anna lay on the cot in her cell. she was mindlessly, softly singing a lullaby that she couldn't quite remember if came from some distant memory that had been locked away or if it was something she had heard in a dream.

Where the North wind meets the sea

There's a river full of memory

Sleep, my darling, safe and sound

For in this river, all is found

In her waters, deep and true

Lie the answers and a path for you

Dive down deep into her sound

But not too far or you'll be drowned

The screeching of the door into the room containing Anna's cell brought Anna out of her daydream. Some one really needs to oil that damned thing. Anna thought to herself. She sat up to see Tony Stark himself walking towards her.

"Mr Stark I'm sorry...I'm so sorry...Did you get it back?" Anna blurted out.

Tony gave Anna a warm smile. "Firstly just call me Tony. And yes, I did. Along with a bunch of other stuff. I've gotta tell you kid I'm impressed." Anna watched Tony as he walked over to one of the computer terminals and began typing. The doors to Anna's cells opened. Anna looked at Tony confused.

"Well, what are you waiting for?...c'mon lets go..." Tony motioned for Anna to come out of the cell.

"Go? Go where?" Anna asked still utterly confused.

"Home kid...we're going home." Tony explained with a smile.

"Home..." Anna echoed

"Home" Tony confirmed with a gleam in his eye.