Chapter Thirteen-"In The Way"

Magsimula sa umpisa

"You really shouldn't be here," he suddenly said.

"I'm sorry I'm intruding on your rightful domain," I apologized. For all I knew, this was his house. I started to set down my beer bottle and leave, but in a quick instance, Dastan grabbed my waist and spun me into a sandwich involving him and the rails. My breath was, of course, caught. His eyes were lightened.

"Just because someone says something shouldn't be doesn't mean they don't want it to," he whispered.

"What's that supposed to mean?" I asked, like an idiot. I knew what it meant.

"You shouldn't be here, but I want you to be."

Great. Now I had to force myself into pushing his chest away from mine.

"You boys around here really need to make up your minds," I commented, ready to walk out of the room and out of the party. However, when I made it to the hallway, I ran into a couple making out. When I knocked them apart, the boy looked between us and then reached for me.

"You're Hayden's girl..." he addressed, his alcohol-filled breath hitting my face. He could barely keep his eyes focused on me.

"Actually, I'm not his girl, I'm actually—"

"Mine," he countered, leaning in to kiss me, but I leaned back to dodge it and felt myself being pulled completely backwards by my jacket. Before I collapsed onto the ground, I was caught and placed there.

"I don't know why the hell you're at this party, but get out," Dastan yelled at me as I was on the ground. Do you see my problem? He makes no sense. DASTAN VEGA MAKES NO SENSE WHATSOEVER. I got up, noticing that Dastan glared at the boy who talked to me. That's as long as I stayed before I ran down the stairs and into a drunken Hayden.

"Why...why are you running downstairs when all I want is for us to be alone upstairs?" he slurred and then start laughing. I scoffed at him and pushed him back, seeing his eyes widen in realization. I walked around him noticing the prick of tears in my eyes.

***

I paced around my room thinking of everything that had happened.

Nik was a defensive jerk. Hayden was a hormonal jerk. And Dastan was an indecisive jerk, but still a jerk nonetheless. But why should I even care, after all, I have—

"Kenneth," I breathed into the phone as he called me.

"Hey, sweetheart, what's up?" he asked. I opened my mouth to tell him everything from the frat boys and Proliator and everyone here, but...I knew I couldn't. "Angela?"

"Yeah...I'm alright," I lied. "I just miss you a lot."

"Trust me, we miss you too," he assured. "Has anything interesting happened there?"

Yeah. I tried to intervene on a hazing and in return, I nearly got raped—but wait, wait, wait Proliator saved me. And on top of that, he came back to find me so he knew we were on "good terms." But then he ended up saying he knows you and Sebastian, but then he jumped out of the window.

"No, but I have a message for you," I said. This couldn't hurt to tell him what the Proliator said right?

"Oh? From who?" he asked. "I just talked to Sebastian, so I don't know who could have left a message for me..."

"The Proliator," I answered. There was a silence. No. I couldn't tell Kenneth everything. "He wanted to make sure you and Kylie were alright from the plane."

"Why—wait. When have you talked to the Proliator?" he stammered, concerned.

"Well, you see, the thing is that I got into some trouble earlier this week and—"

"What happened?"

"It's not a big deal; it's only eleven stitches," I shrugged.

"Only eleven stitches?!" he yelled.

"Calm down, Ken, it was my fault—"

"It's too dangerous there," he said like millions of times before. As he said that, I felt the wind come from my window that I swear was closed. I walked over to it, the blinds moving noisily, and then I saw the Proliator sitting on the fire escape. Once he saw me, he sent me an attractive smile. "I swear, Angela, when you come back here next weekend, I might just have to keep you here just so I know you can be in my safe arms and not in dangerous Manhattan."

As sweet as that was, I couldn't pry my eyes away from the Proliator that sat on my fire escape. The superhero captivated me with his stupid grin that I hadn't even noticed what Kenneth said.

"Wait. I'm going back next weekend?" I asked.

"Yeah. Hello? The wedding is coming up—"

"Right, right, right," I rushed. Veronica needed to make sure everyone's dresses and tuxes were right. "I, uh, I gotta go."

"Sweet dreams," he allowed, being the final factor to let me know he was angry. Only, he always kept his anger and frustration away from me.

"Good night," I wished and then hung up.

"He's sounds...nice," Proliator commented. "So who's getting married? I know you and Kenneth are obviously the perfect teenage relationship, but it's a little too early for you two, so I'm guessing it's your father's..."

I stared at him, wide-eyed as he was so casual.

"Someone can see you! Get off my fire escape!" I ordered. He shrugged and then stepped through my window. Then his words sank in. "And me and Kenneth's 'perfect teenage relationship' isn't a concern of yours."

"Actually, it is," he countered. I pressed my lips together. "Because I have a plan and he's in the way."

"Excuse me?" I asked. Was that a threat?

"Calm down, I'm not going to kill him or anything," he smiled. "It's just...I think I can do a better job than him."

"At what?" I asked, stepping back. He stepped near me, but didn't touch me like I expected.

"Protecting you...and holding you safely in my arms...and..." he whispered, taking steps towards me. I mirrored them, stepping back, and then I eventually hit the wall.

Aw, crap.

If he had restrained me, I would've broken it at this point, but he wasn't. I was left against the wall, not knowing what to say.

"You're different," he said. "I know that this may sound—"

"Wh-wh-what are you saying? That you just want to—"

"Angela!" I heard someone call me. I immediately panicked and then pushed the Proliator off of me for half a second before he was turned into a blur that entered my closet. I opened the door to my room and saw Sebastian.