Chapter Three - To Kill a Mocking Girl

I huffed as the five of us were walking through the woods. It was someones bright idea to do some sort of shrine to Ali.

"Who's idea was this again?" Hanna asked as we trailed through the woods following Emily to an old spot we used to go to.

"It was Emily's mom." Spence replied to her question

"The shed was me, my mom just said we should do something for us." Em stopped turning back to us. I took out my bottle of water and had a big gulp.

"Well, couldn't we do something without mosquitoes?" Han complained.

"There not mosquitoes, they're gnats." Aria corrected, it confused me how she knew this random bits of information

"Whatever there small, annoying and flying up my nose." All of us carried on, I wish I had know what we were doing before hand and I would have worn the right footwear for the situation. instead of heeled boots.

"Well they're attracted to you perfume..." Spencer informed Hanna.

"And her hair product and her lip gloss." i joked and Spencer laughed as she fell in step with me

"So what are you saying, I attract flies ?" She huffed out, Han used to not mind being in the woods before she became all it girl. I think out of everyone she had changed the most in the year that we had been apart.

"Gnats." Ari corrected, I had a feeling that she would be doing that al lot before we got to our destination.

"Han you said it not me." i laughed the other girls laughed as well.

"Why do I feel like this is the wrong way?" Em wondered as i wafted my hand to rid of the gnats.

"No this is it, i rememeber that tree. It's the halfway point. Theres 136 steps left to the shed." Spencer informed us pointing at the large tree.

"Have you been out here since Alison?" Emily wondered i tied my hair up into a bun to make it easier.

"Me? No. No way." Spencer denied adamantly adjusting he r hardback on her shoulder.

"But only you remember that tree." I pointed to it, not even I remembered the tree as being the half way point to a dusty old shed that we used to go to.

"Guys it's not that weird. I mean we came out here in eighth grade, like, everyday. Even after." Hanna defended, even though there was no real need to.

"I think this is totally the wrong place to do this, whatever you call it, shrine." Spencer voiced her doubts now that we were half way, why she didn't do it before is beyond me. But oh well we were here now.

"It's not a shrine, it's just a place to remember Alison. What's wrong with that?" Emily retorted defensively

"Doing it out here makes it look like we have something to hide." i huff at her, that came out a lot harsher than I thought.

"You're worried about what other people think?" Em asked me

"Aren't you?" I counter back at her.

"Do you really want to give that creepy detective more reasons to question us?" Spencer backed me up.

"Are you sure, you're not twins instead of us?" Aria wondered and we looked at each other we were both standing the same. Hanna continued on not saying anything. Hanna walked ahead of us

"Han, why are you so quiet." Em grilled as we followed on behind her.

"I'm trying to keep the bugs out of my mouth." She retorted flicking her hair back.