Chapter Nine-"Okay with Lunch"

Comenzar desde el principio

I realized that I was over-obsessing.

"Why?" he asked, probably at that last point.

"I don't know?" Ask him yourself; he's your best friend.

"No," he said. I raised an eyebrow. "Why are you so conflicted about that?"

"Because I don't know what to do here! You boys are so confusing and I have no idea why," I whined, resting my cheek in my propped hand.

"Well there's one good thing in your rant," he shrugged. And what was that. "I wasn't mentioned in any bad way."

I stared blankly at him. He chose now to focus on that?

"Okay so there's a guy who you shouldn't even concern about and a guy that is hundreds of miles away--those two your shouldn't even worry about. And then there's a freaking awesome stud that just wants a shot with you," he spelled out. "That doesn't sound confusing. It just sounds like you're a wanted girl."

"You're missing the point."

"Look, stop worrying about all the extra shit and just focus on you and what you want," he advised. I took a deep breath and nodded. He touched my chin and then I started to blush. "A girl as beautiful as you shouldn't have douchebags ruining your days."

"Keep in mind that douchebag is your best friend," I giggled.

"Vega?" he asked. Well yeah... "We're not best friends; we're more like punching bags for each other."

"Meaning?"

"Meaning exactly what the title implies," he said, his voice changing into a tone that made me shudder.

"Angela?" a familiar voice called. I looked over to see Veronica with a coffee in her hand.

"Hey," I smiled. She walked over.

"Who's this?" she asked politely.

"This is—"

"Hayden Marshal," he introduced with a gorgeous smile. Veronica looked to me with a readable expression.

"He's just a friend from school," I assured.

"Good. I thought I was going to have a fight on my hands in three weeks," she laughed.

"Three weeks?" I asked. Her face fell.

"Your father and I are getting married, Angela," she reminded. Oh shoot. That means Kenneth would be here.

"I completely forgot about that," I admitted. I can't believe it was coming up that fast.

"It's fine," she feigned a smile. She glanced between me and Hayden. "Well you two have a nice day. Get back to school in time."

"Maybe—"

"Of course," I covered, sending Hayden a glare that would hopefully send his cocky smile away. Veronica left, texting on her phone, and then I continued eating my food.

"That's not your mom?" Hayden asked.

"Clearly."

"You look so much alike," he said, just like dozens of other people.

"Not really," I lied. "She and my dad have been going out for a while back and when he proposed, it was time to shut down our business back in Frankford and move up here."

"Lucky me," he winked. I smiled and rolled my eyes playfully. "So...do you have any plans this weekend?"

"Not that I know of," I answered, looking down.

"Can you come watch my game?" he invited. I looked up to him.

"Yes," I smiled. It was his last game...well for this high school's district. It had been clear that our team was going to playoffs. I couldn't miss it if he personally asked me to go.

"And, uh..." he started awkwardly. "Would you be willing to come to the after party with me?"

"I don't know..." I said.

"Come on. What's the worst that could happen?" he asked.

"Sebastian doesn't really want me to..."

"Screw Sebastian. He had fun last time," Hayden insisted. Last time? Is that where Sebastian disappeared to last weekend? "And plus Cheyenne will be there and so will I..."

He was giving me wide, blue puppy-dog eyes that I could easily give into.

"Fine," I allowed. "Under one condition."

"Anything," he promised.

"You can't diss me in front of your friends," I said, biting my lip. He stood up from the booth and then walked over to me, closer.

"Sweetheart, I would never do that to you," he said honestly. The corners of his lips turned up. "And plus, my friends are such doofuses that we can spend all night dissing them instead."