45. Unexpected turn of events

Start from the beginning

"She's not doing anything!" Another voice came in. It was Amber, anger shining in her eyes. With our talks, we hadn't realized the door jingle to recognize someone had entered the shop. "What do you want from me anyway? Go back to those bimbos and cling on to their waists."

"See what I mean?" Zack turned towards me. He looked tired of arguing with her, tired of trying to make things work between them. Looking at him, made me wonder why wouldn't Amber listen to his side of the story once before she concluded things.

"Okay, time's up." Amber shook her head, putting the heavy carriers from her hands. She kept them on the ground. "Get out now. Meg, come help me unload the materials from the car. We need it for today's wedding."

Without waiting for me, she went out towards her car to get the goods in. Zack motioned for me to stay put while he would help her out. I nodded at him and just sat there looking at the two of them. Amber was still mad at him while Zack was doing his best to make sure that she understood his point of view too.

I was relieved to find that the fights between Miles and me were often sorted within a week. We listened to each other and often ended up in a make out session after a fight.

But Amber and Zack's fights were not that easy. A few guys stood there as they argued back and forth. For a second, I thought of jumping in between to hold the fight. Just as I reached the door, I saw Amber shouting at the by standers, asking them to mind their own business.

She was definitely breathing fire. I retraced my hand back from the door handle and went back to my seat. She was violent when it came to one of her mood swings. They finally came back in, with Zack carrying all the goods while Amber entered like a queen ordering him around.

I resisted the urge to roll my eyes at that.

"Put them there." She said, walking towards the computer to enter the billing dates. "Now, you can go."

"Amber!" I elbowed her. "Zack, please, don't take her words personally. Can you please explain what happened there that day?" I saw Amber glaring at me, mentally murdering me. "Not for her, for me."

"Thanks Meg." He said, and started explaining how he was in a double shoot that day, because models were in less number. He had to work the whole evening when he had to meet her. "Mobiles weren't allowed in the shoot, so I was not able to call her."

"As if." Amber scoffed, folding her hands and looking away.

"It went on till late evening." He explained and how he was pulled into the pizza night even when he wanted to get back to Amber. "I'm really sorry, Amb."

She rolled her eyes at him, and turned away. I knew Amber needed a lot of time to forgive and I was sure that she hadn't heard the whole story before this. Now with the events clear on the table, I only hoped that she could call it a done deal and move forward.

My phone buzzed, breaking the silent atmosphere in the shop. Without looking at the ID I picked up the call.

"Megan! Please get to the hospital!" My heart dropped to my stomach at that sentence. I pulled my phone from my ear and looked at the caller. It was Mark.

Fear gripped me together and suddenly, I was not able to breath anymore. Amber looking at my tense nature, walked to me, holding my shoulders.

"Mark! What happened?" I asked. "Where are you? Is everyone okay?"

"Please get down to the city hospital!" He almost shouted. He seemed scared and that made my heart thump faster. "It's Laura! Please, hurry!"

With that the line was cut. Laura wasn't even due yet.