16. Knight in shining armor

MILES

"Why are you so tensed." Mark patted my shoulders. "I'm the one who's marrying. Not you."

I rolled my eyes. He had put on a grey suit, a little lighter than the one he had worn to the photo shoot yesterday. Though he had asked me to prim up more formally, I had stuck with the casual jeans and a comfy tee-shirt, putting on a blazer on top of it. It made me look decent and that was enough for me.

I looked around, hoping to see someone who would magically appear and save me from this lame function. At least with her, it wouldn't have felt lame.

Laura was with Mark's cousin Tracy, laughing at something they discussed. Her parents wore a proud smile on them as they talked non-stop with everyone. Mark stood next to me, accompanying me as guests came over to greet him.

At the drinks table, few girls were giving me the eye. If I didn't have other things in mind, I would have probably enjoyed myself very much. Near the entrance, I saw Amber shaking her head at the microphone that she had stuck in her ear. She seemed helpless and looked like she would cry any minute now.

"Are you expecting someone?" Mark asked. I had almost forgotten that he was standing next to me. "Like my florist?"

I looked at him and he looked amused for some reason. "Well, she's gone to her parents for Christmas." I shrugged. "She told me it's like a ritual."

I would have followed that ritual too if Mom was here, alive with me. Ever since Mom was taken away, all the festivities lost their value. Kevin usually was caught up with his work while Dad and I couldn't sit in the same room for more than half hour.

"Yeah," Mark laughed. "Laura had a fit against it when she broke the news to her."

I snorted. "I can understand. She had called me about it." I looked at Laura. She looked so happy and content with her peach dress. Her hair was left open only pinned at the side and she looked very beautiful. "But she's coping up really well."

"Unlike you." Mark patted my shoulder again.

"What?" I asked, laughing nervously, shaking my head to the side. "Why would I be worried about it?"

"After you-know-who, I've never seen you smile the way you smile now." Mark said and I had to roll my eyes at his cheesy choice of words. "Maybe it's a good thing, you know?"

"Marriage is making you weak." I teased him. "Besides, it was your idea to let us go shopping together."

"Yeah, but we never told to do it together." Mark shrugged. "That was all you guys."

She had told that we could be doing shopping alone, but then again, I was the one to ask her to accompany me. "Anyway, she's nice."

"That she is." Mark smiled. "Laura tells me that she has gone through a lot, Miles. So, just be careful before you break her heart."

"Who says I'm going to break her heart?" I asked, angry at him for bringing it up.

"Well, I'm just saying." Mark said, putting his hands up as a mock surrender. Someone on the other side called his name and soon, he was gone, leaving me angry and mad.

"Break her heart, my ass!" I cursed under my breath as I walked towards the drinks section to make sure that I drowned myself in the drinks. "He doesn't care if she breaks mine!"

Just as I was about to order, I remembered how I used to drink only a few weeks ago to forget things. And I didn't want to repeat history, trying to drown my sorrows in that awful liquid. I closed my eyes and leaned on the table when the leader of the girl gang who was eyeing me came towards me.