Jeremy glanced over his shoulder but still didn't turn around.

  "It was by mere coincidence that I also met Kolo in the woods. He found me, not me him. I never used you as a cover, I never used your kiss as a facade, neither did I dismiss that kiss after I left. You—"

  "What are you trying to say, Dani?" He turned around fully, dropped a black shirt in his hand, and walked to her. He reeked but Dani didn't point it out.

  "What I'm trying to say is that I have always loved you, Jeremy Tonnes. Ever since I was little and as long as I have to live, you will always have a special place in my heart. I know you think I meant to hurt you, I know you are still angry, but what I also want you to know is that I will never stop loving you."

  Something flashed in his wet eyes. His lips jerked upwards. Jeremy grabbed her arm, pulled her to his tall warm figure, and engulfed her in a hug. A short laugh escaped him.

  "What took you so long?" He whispered.

  "I was just so scared. I didn't know what I would say in front of you." She muttered into his cloth. A tear broke off at the corner of her eye, slid down her cheek.

  He breathed her in, sighed in satisfaction, and pulled away but didn't let go of her. Jeremy took in her face, looking like a blind man seeing the sun for the first time. Then he kissed her.

  She responded almost immediately. The kiss was slow at first but he quickened the pace. In a few minutes, she had her legs wrapped around his waist, his strong arms around her, his lips savagely exploring hers. She tangled her fingers in his dirty blonde hair, felt the muscles at his back. Jeremy gently laid her down on his bed, breathing heavily.

  He took off his shirt, leaned down to kiss her again when there was a knock on the door. They glanced at the door in unison.

  "Who is it?" He called, sounding slightly annoyed.

  "It's Gabe." Came the muffled voice. "Sheriff Gary is here. Says he wants to see Dani."

  Jeremy turned to look down at her as she sat up. "You in trouble?"

  Dani shook her head, brushing her hair with her fingers. "No. I'm just as surprised as you."

  "Think it might have something to do with the drug dealer?" Jeremy asked, lending her a hand to stand up.

  "Let's go find out, shall we?" She replied and went for the door. Upon opening it, Gabe examined her, noticing her ruffled her.

  He smirked. "You sly fox."

  Dani smiled. "Enough of that, where's the sheriff?"

  "Down at the living room. You coming, Jer?" Gabe called into the room.

  "Of course." He appeared, his blue shirt on again.

  The trio walked down the stairs, each thinking what this could possibly be about. Dani concluded that it had to be about Kolo, but what did that have to do with her? She remembered Austin's words, about how it was her fault that Kolo was in jail and now he was roaming free. Her heart began beating rapidly.

  "You okay?" Jeremy asked as they came down the last flight of stairs.

  Dani smiled at him. He'd always had a connection with her, knowing when she needed comfort and assurance. "Kinda. Just... nervous, you know."

  He smiled hopefully and gave her a quick kiss. "You're gonna be alright. I'll be by your side."

  Sheriff Gary was sitting on a brown leather couch, his attention partially on the active television where a group of vets was treating a dog who had been attacked by a hedgehog. Dani cleared her throat, announcing her presence.