Chapter 33, Part A: Monsters in Our Midst

Start from the beginning

Neither Wolfram seemed offended by his statement.  This, too, was something the guildmaster found peculiar.  

The lord cleared his throat.  “Regarding the mishap the other day -- have you heard from Edmund Ormond ?”

“No.” The guildmaster pondered the abrupt shift in topic.  Carefully, he proceeded.  “As I see it it's not my business to intervene.  But if you ask my advice - the boy is not the sort to hold a grudge. He’s a good man,” Wilhelm said loyally. “Most of my boys are. We can be a bit greedy and wild at times, but we keep our word.  Treat him consistently and fairly, and the incident will be long forgotten.”

“I understand," the Count responded.   

* * *

The next day, there would be no light to guide each watch. Inside, the time was passed with quiet things. Much of the month in darkness would be spent in sleeping, eating, and cleaning if all went well.

However, some did work in rooms where light was provided.  More than a dozen women sat together, mending clothing and bags that were used by the men on duty outside.  Others knitted, for there was always a need for scarves, mittens or blankets.

Elanore was trimming leftover cloth for bandages when she felt the ground tremble.  Outside, she could hear the lions shouting.   She excused herself before she hurried downstairs.

She pushed her way through a swarm of men in the entryway to find the door.  She peeked outside, listening to sounds of the watchmen yelling.  Others poured out and began to move up the courtyard towards the path to the gate.  

Elanore looked about for a light, but a pair of hands pulled her back inside.  “Miss Redley,” the guildmaster warned her mildly. “That call was not for you.  Until it's confirmed what approaches, we all stay put.”

She bit her lip, chafing at the instructions he provided.  If Edmund would show, she would be allowed to go outside.  But to her disappointment, he did not appear.

* * *

Long before the men in the watchtowers had raised an alarm, Edmund had heard a faint roar. He was out in the courtyard looking for the lion in distress when Galahad discovered him and began to drag him to the gate.

The men standing guard did not appreciate their presence or the additional influx of other lions behind them demanding for the gate to be opened. They turned a blind ear upon the creatures.

Even when the watchmen confirmed the presence they saw were the lions, they did not act. The gate would not be opened without word from their lord.

Outside came a roar, an indignant call.  "HURRY!  WE HAVE A CUB. HE IS DYING."

The Wolframs stood firm, in spite of the horrendous yowling that resulted from the crowd of lions.  Thankfully, the master of the estate did not wait to end this standoff.  

He cast a displeased look at the crowd of lions pressing against him, then spared another look at the men who had drifted this way. “This is not a fight yet. Please go back if you are not on duty or if you are not a medic.”  

His eyes were not angry but stern as he addressed the lion’s appointed shepherd.  “Edmund, you must not let them carry you along as they please. They always mean well, but they do not always think ahead.  A handful would have sufficed. Please teach them this and make sure they return to their stations.”

Edmund left Galahad and Uwaine behind.  The rest he ordered back to their posts, although some were less timely to respond than others.  He paced the courtyard, keeping an eye on a particular few for a while before he felt it safe to return to the hazel door and wait in warmer conditions.