Unexpected Journey.

We see an older Bilbo Baggin lighting a candle, and moving through his home, early in the morning, and it was still dark outside.

Old Bilbo Baggins:
My dear Frodo:You asked me once if I had told you everything there was to know about my adventures. And while I can honestly say I have told you the truth... I may not have told you all of it.

He was going through his old things in his trunk, and found his old sword: Sting.

He admired it for a moment, before grabbing a book from under it. He then takes it to his study, and opens it to see and old drawing of himself.

 He then takes it to his study, and opens it to see and old drawing of himself

Old Bilbo:
I am old now, Frodo. I'm not the same Hobbit I once was.

He smiled, and chuckled at the sight of his young self. So much time had passed, and things have changed since then. He then started to write in his book.

Old Bilbo:
I think it is time for you to know what really happened. It began long ago in a land far away to the east the like of which you will not find in the world today.

The scene then flashback to a simpler time.

Old Bilbo:
There was the city of Dale. Its markets known far and wide. Full of the bounties of vine and vale. Peaceful and prosperous.

The city was bustling with joy, with friends, family, and neighbors with "how-do-you-do's", and children were enjoying the day with merriment, and at the end of the city was a giant lonely mountain, as Bilbo continued to describe.

Old Bilbo:
For this city lay before the doors of the greatest kingdom in Middle-earth: Erebor. Stronghold of Thror, King Under the Mountain. Mightiest of the Dwarf Lords. Thror ruled with utter surety never doubting his house would endure for his line lay secure in the lives of his son and grandson.
Ah, Frodo. Erebor. Built deep within the mountain itself the beauty of this fortress city was legend. Its wealth lay in the earth in precious gems hewn from rock and in great seams of gold running like rivers through stone. The skill of the Dwarves was unequaled fashioning objects of great beauty out of diamond, emerald, ruby and sapphire. Ever they delved deeper, down into the dark. And that is where they found it. The Heart of the Mountain. The Arkenstone.