Chapter 8

I walked around my cart pretending to be scrutinizing it, for what I don't know. I knew didly squat about the mechanics of my cart. I was just keeping a low profile. Ally had an impressed crowd around her, including my two body guards and off course not surprisingly Rafe as well.
So he came to watch her.
So what's the attraction with Ally? Okay so I know she's stunning and all that, but hey I'm not bad looking. I mean I've often been complimented about how beautiful my eyes looked, and I've more than once been told my mane of blonde hair was attractive, and okay it was just my mom who told me I had legs that catwalk models got paid a lot of money for. So I wasn't unappealing right? So why, why does Rafe not look at me? And his sister said he preferred blondes, hello! Ally was a redhead!

Sulkily I hauled the clipboard out the passenger seat, to study Jeff's Lap notes. It had projections on the time I should take to cover each lap. I can do these times, I mean I clocked faster times during our test sessions so why__.

'Hello Katy.'

Oh what do you know, he's actually managed to tear himself away from Ally!

I took my time lifting my head from the clipboard, simultaneously releasing the breath I'd been holding as I looked into Rafe's eyes. There was a playful smile there. Not one I often saw or was frequently the beneficiary of, so was it a show just for Ally and the guys? I looked across at Ally, she and the boys seemed to be arguing about something. They seemed to be advising her about her tyre if I could gauge anything from Tom's finger pointing to her back tyre. She was shaking her head, as if in disagreement. Tom and Jeff may be trigger happy when it came to guys, but where our females species were concerned, they were a different kettle of fish, and I know Tom secretly had a crush on Ally, not that he would ever admit to it. Speaking of crushes, perhaps I should respond to my hunk in front of me, not that he gave a damn about me, and he was here with Ally.

"Hi,' I replied, cupping my palm above my eyes to block out the sun, it didn't help much, my palm was no match for the blazing sun. Rafe grinned and shifted so that his broad shoulders did enough justice to keep the sun away.

'Thank you,' I acknowledged politely.

'My pleasure,' he smiled, gazing at me as if he was interested or something.
So shouldn't he be with Ally offering her some last minutes words of comfort or___?

'How you feeling?' he smiled.

'About what?' I asked in confusion.

'No prestart jitters or anything?' he teased.

'Or the race,' I responded stupidly, 'there's always the butterflies, just before the start signal,' I murmured.

'Roger says you seem to have a natural talent,' Rafe spoke easily, 'he says you improve your performance with every race you run.'

'You talk often to my stepdad then?' I asked curiously.

'Yeah,' he nodded, 'I want to study corporate law, so I reference a lot of case matter with him. He encouraged me to call him anytime, if I wanted to bounce anything off him.'

Ah yes, actually Roger has a discipline in corporate law. How could I have forgotten?

So was Rafe his apprentice then?

You plan on serving your Articles in Sydney?' I unashamedly asked.

He swallowed, looked away, then dragged his eyes back to me. I saw a pulse beat rapidly before he responded.

'It depends if I'm still here in Australia, I plan to go back to Spain when I qualify,' he spoke firmly.

I nodded, not knowing what to say as my heart felt like a ten ton weight had dropped on it.
Oh why am I even bothering, when he is not even interested in me. I mean he's here with Ally today right? And it amazed me that today was the very first civilized and only conversation he and I had ever had.