Chapter 2

The next week passed by uneventfully. The boys were back from soccer camp. April was spending the evening with Matt, but only till eight, because it was school night. I was not looking forward to the party tomorrow night with Jamie. I couldn't shake that look in Jamie's eyes, that afternoon when Rafe hurled those accusations at me. It was as if Jamie thought I just wanted to use him or something. But damn it I was honest. I told him I was not interested in dating him.

I should call Jamie and cancel.

'Oops, I'm sorry,' I smiled apologetically at the young girl I bumped into. Well she was not all that small, perhaps twelve, beautiful with a very pretty smile.

'That's okay,' she grinned, 'you got the time?' she asked.

'Yeah,' I looked at my watch, 'just about two thirty,' I replied.

She nodded, paced up and down, then smiled at me.

'You're very beautiful,' she said.

'Me?' I exclaimed, 'No, I think you're very beautiful,' I replied.

'Okay who's flirting with whom?' she raised her chin at me.

I laughed, not really knowing how to respond. I'd seen her occasionally around the school, but did not know her name.

'My brother likes blonde hair,' she looked at me distractedly. ' He also told me a lady's pride is her long hair. I bet he'd like your hair. My name is Cade by the way. '

'Hi, I'm Katy,' I smiled.

'I know you're Katy. You're Andy's sister. He's in my class.'

'Yes,' I answered stupidly.

'Andy says you're a math boffin.'

'No I'm not really. I just know his math, cos I've already learnt about__'

'Cadelaria,' a now familiar voice spoke from behind me.

'Rafe, I told you to call me Cade. Everybody else does, and you're late!' she flung her hands on her hips the way mom does.

'I'm sorry,' he replied apologetically the coach kept us in.

'Rafe meet my friend Katy__'

'She is not your friend Cadelaria. You have only just met her,' he growled at his sister. 'Are you trying to be a bad influence on my sister?' he turned on me.

'What__me?' I exclaimed.

'Rafe where is the good manners you are always telling me I should have?' Cade's hands pounded her hips again.

He raked his hands through his curly hair, and muttered something Greek. Actually Spanish. Actually it sounded like a sweet lullaby.

Hello, he's just been hurling insults at you again!

'Why are you talking to my sister?' he demanded, pounding at me again.

'I didn't know she was your sister. I just dropped my phone and she picked it up and asked me the time.'

Now that I remember, I did not even thank Cade for picking up the phone. I suppose now I know why I was distracted by her, her resemblance to Rafe was striking, same dark beautiful features, and beautiful eyes.

'Let's go,' Rafe yanked her arm, and spoke something in rapid fire Spanish to Cade.

'Bye Katy,' she turned, waved and smiled in an unperturbed manner.

I swallowed, waved, too afraid to speak a single word.

What was wrong with that arrogant __? What is wrong with me, that he hates me so?