November 18th, 2019

I often hear people talk about how the Biblical interpretation of different issues is the best and only true path for righteous living.

It was only until recently that I began to question this statement. Not the idea that we should base our worldviews on the Bible (though, I do foresee that I probably will begin to question this as well), but rather that our interpretations of it are the correct ones. Honestly, it is becoming increasingly difficult to ascertain whether or not some worldview is Biblical.

It seems to me that when we read the Bible, we tend to always find what we want to find. That when we look for places that talk about the roles of gender we will easily find the argument that we want to find. That when we want God to be judgmental and harsh, we will find a harsh and judgmental God and gloss over what appears to be love, and when we search for a God who loves unconditionally, we will find that support and likewise disregard the places where it seems to be the opposite. And this can be broadened to all topics, whether it be evolution, homosexuality, inerrency, slavery, war, nationalism, and salvation.

I think that this is perhaps the most difficult part of searching for truth, especially when you discover that the truth that you were told seems to no longer be absolute – opting to rather be relative according to the persons who taught us. I also think that this knowledge of relative truth brings an even greater crisis, though, when I think about it more: How, then, do I know when I have found truth, and how do I hold the truth that I find loosely enough to allow myself the change and grow? And then, more than that, how do I read the scripture without a bias?

This perhaps is the greatest challenge I face, and it seems to me that I will never be able to overcome it. For, when I read the Bible, I tend to fall into these categories:

I read with an unconscious goal of finding what I want to believeI read with an unconscious goal of debunking what I don't want to believe

And so, when I do find the time and energy to read the scripture (which, I must admit, is not often since it can become quite draining to feel constantly critical of what you used to hold so dearly), I have a difficult time feeling as though I am reading it to read it and learn from God, a being of whom I tend to take day-by-day to uncover if I believe in or not.

Even so, I think that it takes a lot for people to understand that Biblical worldviews and interpretations are simply that – worldviews and interpretations of the Bible. Because of this, they can mold and change and not be constant, and perhaps the only constant is that it will forever be gray until it is revealed in the age to come. And thus, it is easy to hold on to what you believe is the true interpretation. I myself am finding this as I begin to cling to what I believe is the truth, and I do hate how it is bringing me back to the person that I used to be – someone who thinks their interpretation is the best and only true interpretation. Yet, this mindset is unhelpful to all, as it only breeds insincere listening, close-mindedness, and high levels of fundamentalism.

With all this said, I believe that I will always struggle with this – and with all the points I made previously. Perhaps one day I will become more mature in this area, but until then all I can do is try.

Try to not come with an agenda.

Try to search for answers and also hold them loosely.

Try to believe.