Chapter 68 - A little Torture

Astaroth strolls along the wall of toys or rather the torture tools, casually running his fingers over several of them. He stops in front of a selection of whips before curling his fingers around a deadly looking one.

I clench my fists and my jaw tightly. That thin end is very sharp, it would slice through my skin like a hot knife through butter.

I glance at my two brothers who are carelessly lounging on the sofa, watching Astaroth with bored expressions on their faces.

Astaroth tilts his head sideways and pauses before he moves his hand to grab the handle another whip. A braided leather cow whip with knots that promises a lot of pain.

I stiffen when he comes to stand behind me.

"You were supposed to deliver me those Grimoires, my dear. Where are they?" he asks while gently lifting my hair over one shoulder.

I clench my jaw and keep my mouth shut. All I can hear is the sound of my own breathing and the rustle of his movement.

I sense him lifting his arm up and I know what to expect but I have to swallow my cry when he cracks the whip, delivering the first blow on my back.

Astaroth rarely delivers the punishment himself. Normally he has one of his minions or his Excruciarch torturing me while he watches. But apparently, today is special.

He strikes me several more times and I clench my fists and close my eyes, determined not to show any reaction. My back burns but those lashes weren't delivered with that much force by Astaroth's standard. It's more like a cat playing with its food before the kill.

He walks back into my line of vision and grips my jaw. "I'm asking you again. Where are they?"

I look at him from underneath my lashes and blink innocently. "But you already have them, daddy."

He laughs. "My daughter is a comedian. Very funny." In a blink of an eye, his smile vanishes and his grip on my jaw tightens. Owww, that's going to leave a mark on my beautiful face. "Where are they?"

I school my features to look innocently confused. "I told you, one of them was stolen from the Nephilims and I don't know anything about the rest of them. I thought you had them."

Astaroth strikes me with the whip again. And again and again.

I close my eyes, seal my lips together and think of something good. I used to think of places I'd been to. I used to think of the crystal clear blue sea and azure sky, the fine white sand, the smell of the ocean, the breeze, and the freedom that I feel when I ride the waves. But now I think of Sacha. The way he looks at me like I was something precious. I think of his electric touch. How I miss him.

A while later Astaroth stops. One look at my face and he knows that he's not getting anything from me.

"Why are you so determined to defy me, Danica? You know I could end you anytime I want." He stands back with his eyes narrowing on me. Suddenly gives me a rueful smile. "Oh, Danica...you've truly fallen in love with the Nephilim, haven't you?" He shakes his head. "You disappoint me, daughter."

"I guess I have my mother in me after all."

He chuckles. "And you knew where it got her. Love is for fools, Danica. Love makes you weak. Love is just a weapon to manipulate."

Yeah, just like the way he manipulated Freyja.

"Did the Nephilim fooled you into believing that he loved you too?" he asks me with a look of pity.

I hate that look of pity, it's very condescending and he knew it. "It doesn't matter how he feels toward me. I don't care," I lie.

"You don't? You sure about that?" he taunts with a smirk. "Then you wouldn't care that he is now in bed with Dimitra while you're here under my mercy."