Chapter 42 - A Demon Child Among the Nephilims

If I thought that the sprawling mansion was gorgeous last night, it's absolutely magnificent in broad daylight. The rays of the morning sunlight stream in through the large arched windows and the large white columns, highlighting the gleaming floor, the high ceiling, and the beautiful and opulent decor.

I'm back in Sacha's private section of the house and I've stepped out onto his balcony where the view is absolutely breathtaking; the well-tended garden, the rolling field beyond that, and the woods that belong to his family that stretches for miles. But I'm not appreciating the view right now. In fact, the view is the last thing on my mind.

I left the breakfast table just a few minutes ago. Without having breakfast.

The plan to meet with the family over breakfast was a disaster. It was ruined before it even began.

Everyone was staring at us and the air was thick with distrust and hostility. Their guard was up and it had caused the hair at the back of my neck to stand on end and my eyesight to sharpen- turning my eyes red. I was ready for a fight and I must have looked feral.

I couldn't help it. It's a purely instinctive reaction since I was the only half-demon in a room full of hostile Nephilims.

Sacha had placed his body in front of me right away and kept my hand in his.

Needless to say, breakfast was the last thing on anyone's mind at that point. Like I said, it was a disaster.

Sacha's father had demanded to talk to him in their office.

"What? You no longer trust your own family that you can't leave her alone with them now?" his father had asked, looking fiercely offended when Sacha made the move to escort me back to his private wing. "You think we'd attacked her?"

"No, but I didn't think we'd get this kind of welcome either," Sacha had replied through gritted teeth before he took me away from there.

He wrapped his arms around me once we reached the privacy of his suite. "I'm sorry, Danica. I thought it'd go better than this," he muttered. "Are you okay?"

I nodded with my face buried in his chest. "I'm fine." I was feeling better. He made me feel better. Rationally, I didn't really think that his family would harm me.

He pulled back, cupped my chin to lift my face up, and his eyes searched mine. When he was sure that I was telling the truth, he nodded, kissed me on my forehead, and said, "I'll be right back." Then he left.

And now, here I am. On the balcony. By myself.

I lean against one of the columns and slide down to sit on the floor. I should have known that they would hate me.

I was so happy this morning, I couldn't think straight. I should have known that it was all too good to be true.

They are a Nephilim royalty family. They might have a witch in their midst, but a witch is not a demon...or rather a half-demon. A creature of hell.

I stare at the sky then I close my eyes against the brightness. That kind of brilliance has no business mingling with the dark thoughts in my head.

But instead of the darkness behind my closed lids, I'm seeing from another set of eyes. Yokai's.

The cat or rather the woodland spirit is roaming somewhere close to their office because I can hear Antoine's and Sacha's voices.

Without my prodding, Yokai treads silently toward where the sound of their voices is coming from. Soon, he is slipping in through the slight gap between the doors.

Antoine and Sacha are facing each other and the older man is throwing a thick file on a desk between them.

Sacha stares at it with a clenched jaw. "What's this?"