chapter one

kenzie

kenzie

"Uber's here."
Theo stood at the doorway, hands shoved into his back pockets as he swayed backwards and forwards on his heels.

My mom turned towards me, her eyes big and panicked.
"You're sure you've got everything right?"

It was an effort not to roll my eyes. This was the tenth time she was asking me.

"Yes mom."

"Your laptop?"

"Yes mom."

"Your favorite blanket?"

"Yes mom."

"What about your undergarments?l

"Mom!" I hissed.
Theo coughed awkwardly, his eyes glued to the ceiling.

My mom's bottom lip wobbled.

Oh no. Here we go.

"It feels like I was just dropping you and Maddie off to daycare! She's in college and now you're off too! I'm just not ready to let my little baby go. You don't even know how to use the washing machine!" She wailed hysterically.

I stared wide eyed, looking towards Theo for help.
He winked at me, moving forward to embrace her.
"Greg's with you and so is my mom. She told me to tell you she's only a phone call away, if you ever need her," he patted her shoulder, and she sniffed, looking at him adoringly
"I'll be with kenzie. We'll take care of each other. Besides, we're back in no time. Christmas break is in three months." He looked down at her lovingly.

My mom pulled out a handkerchief from her pocket, blowing her nose loud and obnoxiously.
"You're right, my sweet boy. I'm so glad she has you. You've always been her best friend."

My mom adored Theo.
I'm pretty sure she considers the day he came over to work on our science project the best thing that ever happened to our family.
He was the new kid in school.
Sat next to me in class. We got partnered up. He came over—we goofed around with our project and later ended up in Greg's T.V room sharing a bowl of kraft Mac and Cheese, watching Transformers.

He had been fascinated with everything in my house. Things that to me, were just normal. Or things I grew up with, courtesy of having a loaded stepdad.

Theo loved the indoor heated pool, the mini fridge and large screen tv.

But more so, our family.
He loved my mom, Greg, Maddie and I—even Joanna, our cook.