32. Mums the Word

Start from the beginning

Scoffing, I lifted my face so that I could glare at Mom—not that she noticed.

"I must apologize for how it came to be," Lucien said, looking between my parents. "It is a family matter that drew her into danger. I only realized too late what the intentions were. Please rest assured, I will keep Vera in good health."

"No need to apologize," Dad said, leaning forward. "The headmaster told us you've been keeping her out of trouble already. Much appreciated. She has a way of finding dangerous situations."

I frowned, taking full offence. The only dangerous situation I found myself in prior to the Sages was the day I was cursed. Even then, it wasn't like I went out of my way to find adventure.

"I have noticed that trouble seeks her out," Lucien said dryly. I met his stare as he looked my way. "But if I may be forthright, Vera has shown herself quite versatile in dealing with these dangers. Has she informed you of the events of the festival?"

"No," Dad said, squinting at me.

Oh, great. I stared determinedly at the floor.

"Our Vera never writes home." Mom leaned toward him and gripped her knees. "Please tell us. It would be lovely to hear how she is at school."

The doorbell rang. Saved.

Dad stood. "I'll get it."

The room became quiet as he greeted our visitor. "Collins? You're Teressa's boy, right? Come in."

"Oh, no," I whispered, panic forcing my heart to race. Did I say saved? This was the exact opposite.

"Vera," Dad said, joining us in the living room. "You never said you were friends with Teressa's boy."

"Oh, our friendship is recent, sir," Rhett said. A stab of guilt gouged into my heart when he came around the corner all smiles. He froze as he laid eyes on Lucien. "Uh, Professor?"

Lucien nodded. "Mr. Collins."

I could see the cogs working in Rhett's mind. When his eyes widened, I stood. It wouldn't do for him to come to a bunch of conclusions on his own. He should at least hear it from me. "Mom, Dad, why don't you get to know Lacroix. I'm going to speak with Rhett on the porch."

Rhett raised a gift-box and handed it to my father. "A greeting gift. My apologies for interrupting."

"Not at all, son. Come by another time, won't you? It's good to know Vera has a friend."

Ushering Rhett from the living room and onto the porch, I closed the door behind me and sagged against it.

Rhett wheeled around to face me. "How could you keep a secret?"

He obviously worked out the right conclusion. Somehow. I waved a dismissive hand. "It happened the night of the dance. There wasn't any time to tell you."

"Oh. Wow." Rhett paced on the porch, rubbing his chin. "I heard rumors that he married. No one knew who with. I came because I heard you were back in town and I thought you might know. I didn't think"—he covered his mouth—"It's unexpected, but . . . you married one of the most eligible witches in the world."

"Stop," I said, exhaling a deep breath and glaring at the ground. Why did have to act like there was a silver lining? I thought he might have felt something for me, too, but apparently the crush was unrequited. "It wasn't a choice, Rhett. Not really. It was this or die."

"I want to hear all about it. Not now, obviously, but later." Rhett shoved his hands in his pockets. "We have so much to talk about. Mail me when he's gone. I'll come over right away."