CHAPTER 9: A SHADOW FROM THE PAST

PLANETARY HEADQUARTERS, GALVAN PRIME, TWO MONTHS LATER.

The security system alerted Azmuth to an intruder. He pulled up a holographic feed and quickly identified the intruder. He was a Zaroffian, wearing a distinctive black and red top, and grey pants, gloves and belt and black boots. Various bones adorned the outfit.

"No, not him..." muttered Azmuth. "Not Khyber... even Lobo would be an improvement..." He moved to the main communications system and hurriedly sent a distress call to the Justice League.

****

THREE HOURS LATER. 

 A Galvan guard approached Azmuth. "First Thinker, your guests have arrived." The guests had followed the guard. Azmuth had been expecting Omni Knight, and the two Green Lanterns weren't much more of a surprise.

"So what's this all about?" demanded Omni Knight.

"It appears that Khyber has returned."

Omni Knight said nothing, but his mind immediately drifted to a previous encounter with the infamous mercenary and bounty hunter.

**** 

TWO YEARS AGO, ROCKY PLANET

Eighteen year old Kevin and Argit were selling some strange looking alien tech, most likely illegal, and were doing their best to try and attract customers.

"Come on over for some of the best top quality products on the market today!" Argit called. Kevin sighed and shook his head. 

"Argit, that is the oldest and shittiest advertising pitch ever." he told the oversized quill-haired opossum-like alien.

Suddenly, a tall figure in a cloak appeared in front of them. "Are you interested in selling your pet?"

"Hey, I ain't nobody's pet, asshole!" shouted Argit, his yellow eyes bulging in anger.

"I was asking if you wouldn't mind selling your human... or should I say Osmosian... pet."

"You should be more careful about what you say, dipshit!" Kevin bellowed, grabbing the cloaked figure by the collar. "We're selling ya something else!"

"Indeed you are." The cloaked figure replied as he stuck a weird energy band on Kevin's wrist. 

"You're selling me one of the greatest hunts in my life."

"What the hell?!" Kevin shouted, then threw the cloaked figure to the ground and tried to get the energy band off.

"I think it's some sort of device designed to restrain you and prevent you from absorbing anything." Argit suggested. "Or it could be a collar that doesn't go around your neck."

"This isn't time for guesses!" snapped Kevin, then spotted the cloaking figure rising to his feet. 

"Let's get out of here!"

The pair ran, but they didn't get far before they bumped into someone.

"Ow, what the hell?" Ben exclaimed as he saw the culprits. "Oh Kevin and Argit, running from the law again?"

"Not the time, man." Kevin assured him. "There's some douchebag in a cloak trying to get me for 'the greatest hunt of his life...!" 

Kevin explained, then showed Ben the energy band. "He put this on me!"

Ben examined it for a moment, "Hm, I think that's a special ability restraining band designed to temporarily shut down a being's special abilities like flamethrowing, energy blasting..."