CH 01

"Who are you?"

~Two hours ago~

Beats sounded your room of the songs playing on your Spotify playlists with your JBL speaker amplifying it within the walls. Your head bobbed to the song while finishing up an essay due in a few days. Being your final year of university was a pain in the ass with non-stop projects, essays and presentations to complete in order to graduate and get your degree. A piece of paper to determine if you would successfully a job sounded ridiculous and it makes you want to fold it into a plane and throw it, seeing where it flies off. Sometimes you wondered why you chose to be a communications student when the workload and the number of essays you need to critically analyze were biting your ass. However, the thought of having a chance to work in the media entices you. Well, just keep thinking of the brighter side and pray that you would pull through.

You were completing your conclusion for your public relations essay when a knock on your door was heard. In came your aunt popping her head at the corner of the door frame and wondered if you were free. With eyes on the screen, you typed away and nodded, curious as to why she asked. A thud was heard on your desk and you glanced to see a bento and a thermal flask used for herbal teas. "Your uncle forgot to bring his lunch. Could you help me fax it to him?" She requested. Of course, you agreed to a small errand considering the fact that your uncle and aunt raised you like their own. You have been studying in Tokyo since middle school away from your hometown, Osaka. You spent your teenage years within these walls along with your cousins, who have moved out since they started working. "Make sure he drinks the herbal tea. You know how he is with it." "Like how he scowls at the bitter taste and whines to not drink it?" "Mhm, pretty much."

Chuckling with a nod, you saved your completed essay and assured her that you were carrying out the mission smoothly. Your aunt thanked you before leaving your room to let you get ready. A cringe plastered your face the moment you saw your dishevelled state from the few mental breakdowns you had from the essay. You did your makeup after tidying your hair, headed to your wardrobe to pull out a casual outfit and slung a crossbody bag on your body. Grabbing your uncle's lunch, you ran down the steps and called for your aunt to tell her that you were leaving. With that, you slipped into your sneakers and left the apartment.

It took you half an hour to reach the huge building with the words 'National Training Centre' on it. You arrived at the security post to log in your attendance and the reason for your visit. The security was skeptical about your presence as they have never seen you before and there was a chance that you were a fan. Taking the pen again, you scribbled down a note before waving at them. On the sheet, it stated: "Coach Hibarida will be responsible if anything happens :) "

Pushing the huge doors of the gymnasium, you made your arrival lowkey and nobody seemed to have noticed you from how loud the spikes and shouting were. The way you walked was silent too as you pressed on the volume down button on your phone to have a sense of the gymnasium. The last thing you wanted was for someone shouting at you for an incoming ball and you failing to listen. You spotted your uncle, Coach Hibarida Fuki, speaking to some players of the men's national team regarding their upcoming match against China a few weeks from now. They were exchanging thoughts and game strategies as you listened intently. It was when the topic of blocking was brought up making you stop your music and parted your lips to speak. "Work on your receives." Your voice sounded. All eyes and attention were placed on you somehow making you snap out of your thoughts and you started internally slapping yourself. "Who are you?" A male asked with short white hair and seagull like eyes.

"O-Oh, me? Uh..." You trailed off before locking eyes with your uncle. Stomping towards him, a hand swung against his back and gasps were heard. "Aunt Yumi told me to bring this to you! Forgetting your lunch? You wanna starve to death or?" You shoved the bento to his chest. "Right, this to!" "No!" "No? Your wife made this for you knowing how hard you're working!" You yelled with both hands on your waist. Your uncle sighed and looked at you before his team, "Boys, meet my niece, (l/n) (y/n)." He introduced making you flustered. "Uncle Fuki, why... That was unnecessary." You cleared your throat and looked away. "Why? You're my only niece!" "Sometimes I wish I wasn't." "You brat-" "Hello! I'm (l/n) (y/n) and it's nice to meet everyone!" You bowed. The players did the same and was amused by how you were behaving so casually with their coach from the back slapping to yelling.

You were about to leave when uncle Fuki stopped you. He wondered what you meant by your earlier statement regarding receives. "Oh? What's in for me?" You smirked with arms crossed. "I'll get you that Nintendo Switch you want." "Nah, I've already got that." "Oh-Wait what?! When? Why didn't you invite me to play with you?" Uncle Fuki was offended. You snickered and told him that instead of the Switch, you want him to down the herbal tea while you take a video as evidence for Aunt Yumi. A groan escaped his lips but he would do anything for his team to win the match. "Team China's spikes are brutal so blocks might not be the answer to earning a point or saving the ball. Instead, receives are important I think. Considering how you guys lost to them due to the lack of ball saving and receives." You shrugged.

The team stared at you with wide eyes thinking that your insight made sense. "Y/n, you're so cool!" Cheered an orange head. "Yeah! You're no doubt coach's niece!" Another chimed with salt and pepper spikey hair. Smiling, you blushed for the attention you were receiving and red emerged your cheeks. "Maybe we need you in our team. Say? Why not be my assistant?" Uncle Fuki nudged you playfully. "Ha, no. Now, drink up." You let out a fake smile with your phone in video mode ready. Grumbling, Uncle Fuki reluctantly downed the horrible tasting tea while the team cheered.

"Woo! Maybe Aunt Yumi might give me more allowance for this!"

"Don't I give you enough allowance?"

"Uh, nope. You're stingy."

"You lil' brat!"

"Stop calling me 'brat'. You're not Levi."

"Maybe after I slash you with two huge blades for your ungratefulness then I'll be."

You giggled at the childish bicker that you and your uncle often have. It has been a thing since you were a child. You were about to leave when a figure caught your eye. The way he eyed the ball set for him by Kageyama was as if an eagle as he lifted his body and spiked the ball. The ground vibrated due to the impact as he landed on his feet. He had brown hair with a tinge of green matching his olive eyes and has a strong built with how tall he stood and the way his training shirt clung onto his muscles. What made him stood out was that he was a lefty, making his spikes faster and unpredictable at times. Just then, the male looked and you straightened your back by his somewhat stoic gaze. Knowing that you were his coach's niece, he gave you a small nod of acknowledgement and you let out an awkward smile.

"Stop checking out my team."

"Shut up, old man."

"He's Ushijima Wakatoshi and plays as an opposite hitter. He graduated from Shiratorizawa Academy, a powerhouse for young people aspiring to be part of the sports industry. Ushijima was an under 19 representative for Japan for the Youth World Championship. It's a pleasure having him part of the National team."

"So, he's like the apex, huh?"

"You can say that."

A/N: Hello! I hope you're enjoying this story so far!