28.

Maria had just finished putting the dinner on the table, after a long day of cleaning the Lopez house and returning it to its normal state of cleanliness and serenity.

Colby called her to come over earlier after Rebecca agreed to bring CJ over to him after he got home from work that day.

There was a knock on the door, and Colby watched Maria answer it as he walked down the stairs. He saw his son run into the house and as soon as he spotted his father he ran towards him.

"DADDY!" CJ yelled as he jumped into his father's arms in the exact second that Colby bent down to catch him

"I've missed you so much, dude," Colby said. "I swear you grew a whole foot since the last time I saw you" he shook his head as he held his son close to him, and he looked over at Rebecca.

"Rebecca," he said as he placed his son down.

"Everything you need is in the bag," Rebecca said, motioning to the bag Maria had placed on the staircase. "He's got a bit of a cold right now, so he has to take medicine three times a day."

"Hey bud.. why don't you go check on your toys in your room and make sure they're all where you left them" Colby looked down at his son, and the little boy nodded before taking off up the stairs

"I'm gonna go make sure he's taken care of" Maria nodded as she walked up the stairs quickly.

It was quiet once CJ and Maria were upstairs; Colby placed his hands in his pockets nervously. He wasn't sure how to bring up the subject or even say to her.. he was never speechless around anyone, certainly not his wife.

"Well, now that I know he's good, I'm gonna head out," Rebecca said with a slight nod as she moved towards the door.

"Wait!" Colby exclaimed, and she looked over at him. "Maria made dinner.. she just finished it," he said, "Why don't you stay and eat with us.."

"Colby," she shook her head, "We're not doing this"

"Doing what?" He asked

"Playing house," she said, "We are not about to pretend that everything isn't in shambles at our feet.. we are not going to pretend that everything is okay and confuse our son any more than he already is."

"You won't even let me talk to you about what happened"

"You had sex with Scarlett," she shrugged. "What more is there to talk about?" She asked, "I wasn't enough for you."

"Stop," he said, interrupting her. "You can stop right there" he shook his head. "You were enough, and you are more than enough for me."

"Then why did you have sex with someone else?"

"It's a long story, but you have to give me the time to tell you," he said

"I'm busy tonight.." She said with a nod, and his face dropped. "Did your lawyer contact you?"

"My lawyer is your lawyer.. why would he contact me?"

"Actually... I got a lawyer, and he drew up the paperwork and was supposed to get in touch with your lawyer."

"The paperwork.." Colby shook his head

"Divorce papers," she nodded, and Colby felt like he'd been hit straight in the stomach; he almost doubled over in pain at those two words...

She was divorcing him.

There was another knock on the door, and Rebecca opened it to see her security guard standing there. As he walked in the door, he handed her CJ's favorite stuffed turtle.

"CJ left this, and we both know he can't sleep without it," Trevor stated, and Rebecca smiled as she took the plush toy from him and handed it over to Colby. "We also have dinner reservations in twenty minutes," he said

"I've got to go," Rebecca nodded. "If you need me or want me to come to get him, just let me know," she said to Colby.

Colby watched Rebecca walk out of his house with her security guard, he looked down at the stuffed animal in his hand, and then he heard his son's tiny feet thundering down the marble stairs.

"Shelly!" CJ yelled as he reached for the plush toy and held it close to his little chest

"Trevor brought it by cause you left it," Colby said as he tried to push the conversation he'd just had with Rebecca out of his head and turn his attention to the time he had with his son.

"I left it at Trevor's," CJ stated clearly, and Colby's eyes widened

"Buddy," he bent down to be eye level with his son, "You and mommy have been staying at Trevor's apartment?" He asked, and the little boy nodded

"I got a room," the little boy stated

"You have a room in his apartment?" He asked, and his son nodded. "Where does Mommy stay?"

"In their room."

"In their room?" Colby questioned, and then it hit him. "CJ... Is Mommy sleeping in the same room as Trevor?"

"Where else is Trevor supposed to sleep? That's his bed. Silly," the little boy rolled his little eyes. "She smiles a lot with him, and he makes her laugh, and he plays with me!" He listed, "and I even saw him and mommy kissing," he stated innocently

CJ was completely innocent in this entire situation. Colby had to keep reminding himself of that fact.. his son didn't think he was doing anything wrong; he was telling him the answer to the questions.

"He makes yummy pancakes!" CJ announced, "I like him.." He nodded. "Do you like him, Daddy?" The little boy looked up at his father as Colby now stood up

"I did," Colby stated

"Mommy likes him too" CJ nodded