Chapter 5 : A Lovers' Spat

Start from the beginning

"Go away, Nandini." Manik said, sounding tired.

"Kyun? Tum sun toh lo."

"Kya sunu? Haan?! Kya sunu mein? How you fucking hid it from me all the while? If yes, I don't want to." Manik spoke angrily.

"Manik...Isiliye! Isiliye nahi bola maine kuch."

"No! You know that I am pissed at you because you hid it from me. Agar tumne mujhe us hi din bataya hota, main itna gussa nahi hota. You asked for it." Manik said.

"I didn't know how to tell you."

"Really Nandini? After knowing me for so many years, you give this excuse? Fuck it. I don't want to listen."

"Manik, why are you doing this?"

"Nandini, leave me the fuck alone. And don't try to create a scene here." Manik said and went back inside, leaving a dejected Nandini behind.

Nandini walked back inside, losing all her interest in the party. She just wanted to go home.

"Oh my god." Alya said, after she came out of the balcony. She had been there all the time, talking to her brother. She was on the darker side of the big balcony and both Manik and Nandini hadn't noticed her.

"This is so messed up. I wonder what happened." Alya said to herself.

----

Cabir tried to maintain a conversation with Manik but the latter showed zero interest. He was quietly sipping his drink while the others talked.

"Manik, you seem awfully down. Are you okay?" Cabir asked with concern.

"Nothing's going right, Cabir. Nothing." Manik said.

"Yeh kya bol raha hai tu?" Cabir got worried at Manik's dejected tone.

"I...got into a major fight with Nandini. Probably the messiest one till date." Manik confessed.

Cabir was the only one he could talk to about his problems. Mukti always created more troubles whenever he shared his relationship issues.

"Vo toh maine guess kar liya tha. Lekin kis baat pe?"

"Madhyam."

"Kya? Phir se? Manik, yeh kya bakwas hai? Kitne baar iss cheez pe ladoge tum dono. Bachhe ho kya? Even you are friends with Alya na, your ex of seven years. Vo toh sirf uska dost hai."

"Sunn le meri baat pehle phir suna mujhe. Usne Nandini ko propose kiya, Delhi main." Manik said.

"What?!"

"Exactly. Now I don't exactly know how their conversation went. But I know for sure he proposed to her."

"How are you sure?"

"That idiot told me. He thought Nandini had told me."

"Why were you talking to him?"

"He had called Nandini, but her phone was with me. So I picked it up, especially because it was Madhyam."

Cabir sat silently for some minutes. It was too much to take in.

"Kab hua yeh?"

"Aaj subah. Aur baaki ka sun. I got into an argument with Dad regarding the same. And then with Mukti because she tried to help."

"Manik...kyun hai tu itna impatient. You have to calm down."

"Kaise calm down? Nandini ko Mumbai aakar ek week ho gaya hai. I freaking went to Mangalore, to get permission for marrying her, and then this happens." Manik muttered.