"We still haven't paid for the last one."

"Oh, no, no, no. Meredith is at the station. Your dad said it might take some time, but he will get her to talk. Even if I let you go, what would you do?"

I sighed. "Okay, fine." I sat back on the bed. "Can you do me one little favor?"

Melissa smiled. "Anything."

"Can you get me a tape player?"

"Like cassettes?"

He nodded. "Yes. Tapes."

"Yeah, I'll see what I can do."

"Okay, tapes though, please."

"Cassettes," Melissa corrected as she left the room.

Nica entered the room and smirked. "Look what the gods dragged in. Your dad force you back?"

I nodded. "Yup. The Jeep's here at least. How are you doing? Last I saw you were unconscious. And Derek was holding your hand."

Her smirk dropped. "I'm okay."

"Nica, the phrase you referenced is supposed to be look what the cat dragged in."

"I know, but gods was more fun to say."

"Isn't that like cursing them?"

"So? Not like they care for us."

I studied her expression. I couldn't imagine not caring about my dad.

We sat back down and as soon as Melissa came in, I asked, "You find a tape player?"

She shook her head and glanced at Nica. "I'm not surprised. No. But I found someone looking for you two."

Malia walked in. "I heard you two almost got killed."

"I heard you almost got killed," I returned. I hate the awkwardness with her.

"You two okay?"

Nica and I nodded. "Brunski punched me in the face. Nica's okay. Turns out he was a serial killer."

Malia nodded. "Makes sense."

"What about you Malia?" Nica wondered.

"We almost got set on fire."

"Everyone okay?" I asked.

"Basically."

"You okay?" she said in a slightly deadpan tone.

Malia nodded. "I'm fine. I'm gonna go."

"Malia. Sorry we didn't tell you about Peter being your biological father. Shouldn't have done that."

Malia nodded slowly. "It's okay."

I finally got a CT scan and was fine, so Nica, Malia and I headed to my house.

Nica, Malia and I entered my room. While I sat at my desk, Malia sat on my bed and pulled her jacket around her. Nica was standing near my desk.

I frowned. "Are you cold?"

She shrugged and I took her hands, covering them, and played the tape. Almost instantly, Lorraine's voice sounded throughout the room. "Listen to me. Please listen. There's something I have to do, something I have to stop."

Brunski's voice said, "I have to take you back to Eichen, Lorraine."

I turned up the volume as Lorraine answered, "No. No. I don't think you're gonna be taking me anywhere. I can hear the recorder in your pocket. It's on now, isn't it? You're making a tape. Just like you taped the others."