28 Days

28 days.

28 days until my soul will cease to exist. 28 days until Death will scoop me up in his arms. 28 days until I'll be floating among the clouds. 28 days until Zander and I will be separated.

But, that's just an estimate. The next breath I take could be my last.

"Zander?" I choke out the words. Just talking to him makes me feel a little bit better.

"Yeah, sweetie?" My heart swells and I feel on top of the world. When he's around, there's never an empty hole in me. He's my everything. I love him more than water. I need him more than I need air.

"Tell me a story." Each word is pained.

He grins.

"8th grade. I think that was one of the best years we've had together. It was the year where my love for you was proven stronger. Do you remember the other kid? His name was Jared. You and him liked each other, and you kinda forgot about me. He kept asking you out, and you kept denying, but I knew that eventually, you would go out with him. But then, I felt you coming closer to me. You were leaving Jared. My love for you was strong. It was undying. I was thrilled. It was April. Spring. Your birthday. We would text every night, and when you had to go to bed, I was left with a longing. I wanted you to come back. I didn't want you to leave. So, all of spring break, I was getting the courage to finally ask you out. It was a sunny day. The grass was beginning to grow back, and the wind was playing with your hair. You looked so beautiful. I walked over to you, and grabbed your hand. You were talking with your friends, but I pulled you away, anyway. I didn't care what they thought. We walked to the edge of the field and sat down. It was so awkward. I didn't know what to say. 'Um, Lila?' You looked at me. Your eyes were so cute and innocent. My heart leaped. 'So, uh, do you want to go out with me?' Your hand slapped your mouth and your eyes began to water. Maybe I did something wrong. But then you leaned over and threw your arms around me. You were laughing and I pulled you closer to me.

'Yes,' you whispered. 'Yes.' Even though your voice was quiet, your words were loud. You pulled away and looked straight into my eyes. 'Zander, I love you.'

And I looked at you. 'I love you too, Lila.'

We walked away. You returned to your friends, and I to mine. And you smiled at me. I smiled back. I looked at your friends. They were confused at our little rendezvous, but you waved it away. It was our secret. And our secret only."

His words began to slowly fade away. I held on to them to keep me alive. I wanted to live to hear our story. The story we made together.