[book 2] chapter fourteen: i make a fool of myself

Start from the beginning

"What are you doing here?" I said to the other car.

"I wanted to surprise you with lunch," he said through his open window, holding up a bag of takeout.

I awkwardly rubbed my arm. "I kind of had plans already."

He locked eyes with Amber and his face dropped. "Oh."

Thanks to these idiots, I was put in a position where I had to pick between my best friend and my twin. Although I wanted to hang out with Amber, I also knew she'd be easier to apologize to than Brenton, so I chose my stupid twin. Amber nodded in understanding as I mouthed her an apology and sat in Brenton's car... well, technically it was my car.

"Why'd you come?" I strapped on my seatbelt. "I already had plans."

"I was bored," he said. "Mom didn't see you come out, did she?"

I shook my head. "What did you do this time?"

Brenton drove out of the parking lot and down the road. "Why must you always accuse me, sister?" When I didn't respond he held up one hand in defence. "I've been avoiding Mom because I don't want her to remember my punishment. With Adam being gone, I'm practically free until that dick decides to show up again."

"I wouldn't get my hopes up," I told him. "In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if he came to dinner tonight."

~*~

"What is it?" Alex prodded the food on his plate with a fork, a mixed look of curiosity and disgust on his face.

"This is cassoulet."

He raised his eyebrows. "Which is?"

"It's beans with duck and sausage."

"Can I make a hotdog with the sausage?"

"No, because this is cassoulet."

Alex glumly stabbed his fork into the food on his plate and glumly stared at his dinner. Oh, did I forget to mention? I jinxed us all because Adam was back, and he had prepared one of his interesting French dinners.

"I hate you," Brenton whispered to me.

"It's not my fault," I whispered back.

"Duck you, Dani." He gestured to the duck on his plate. "Get it?"

"Hilarious," I said dryly.

"I don't like this," Alex suddenly said, pushing his plate away from him. "It's so gross!"

"Alexander, don't be rude. Adam spent a lot of time preparing this," Mom chided.

Adam smiled at Alex. "If you finish half of your plate, I'll let you have dessert for the rest of your dinner. I made chocolate soufflé."

My little brother's eyes bulged at the mention of something sugary. "Okay!"

"Don't encourage wasting food," Mom said to Adam. "Alexander, you must finish your entire plate before you can have a slice of dessert."

"No fair! Adam said I only have to eat half."

"I am your mother and you will obey my orders," Mom said sternly.

"This sucks." Alex abruptly stood up and ran upstairs to his bedroom.

"I'll check on him," Brenton and I said at the same time. We both eyed each other as we left the kitchen.

"I needed an excuse to leave. That tasted like oven-baked duck shit," he murmured once we were out of the dining room. "But as a thank you for picking me over your friend, I'll check on Alex." I didn't argue as Brenton went up to Alex's bedroom. I was about to go up to my own, but I stopped and sat on the stairs to eavesdrop when I heard Mom and Adam talking.