Episode 2: For Myself

"Gojo," Utahime started. They were located at the back of the theatre where their students couldn't hear them. "Despite the fact that I hate you, I've trusted you for a very long time. However, this is making me wonder if I should anymore. It's unfortunate that Itadori-kun is in this situation, but I cannot allow him to just roam around. We don't know when he'll lose control of Sukuna and put everyone in danger!"

Gojo understood that she meant well. He truly did. If he were just finding out about a Sukuna vessel after being out of the loop he'd doubt the person too. But he knew Itadori was strong enough to suppress the curse, having witness it himself. Plus, he'd taken a liking to the boy. 

"I know. But if it comes to that, I'll kill him." He said serious. "It's also like Megumi said. The higher ups already approved."

"I have no question that you're strong enough to be able to kill him," Nanami says, pushing up his glasses. "But are you willing to kill him that is. I've already noticed you're fond of Itadori-kun. When that time comes, will you have the strength to tear out his heart?"

"And if you can't, we'll have to take over, and nothing will be left of us." Ieiri added. "Sukuna isn't the King of Curses for nothing. Take your emotions out of this. It's Itadori or the rest of Japan. You cannot just bet on a kid who knows barely anything about jujutsu."

"My feelings have nothing to do with this." Gojo's voice turned cold, and slightly protective. "He already has an execution date, so it's not like it's going to matter if he dies later."

"It's not about his execution!" Utahime hissed. "It's about putting the safety of everyone in Japan at risk!" 

"The higher ups put you in control," Yaga commented. He was neutral in the situation, but remembering Itadori's resolve had him slightly on Gojo's side. That didn't mean he wasn't cautious though. "If Sukuna gains control then you're taking the blame for it."

"I know. I'm willing to take all the consequences if he does."

"I don't understand why you're like this for a boy you've only met four days ago." Ieiri said, suddenly wishing for a smoke. 

"You don't have to understand."

Nanami observed him, before letting out a huff. "It's because of Geto right?"

Everyone stiffened at the name. 

"..."

"I knew it." Nanami took off his glasses and wiped them with a hanker-chief. "You want to save Itadori, right? Because you think if you can save him then it means Geto was a lost cause and you didn't fail. That there was nothing you could do."

"Shut up." Gojo snarled. He didn't know why he was so emotional. He hadn't been since he found Geto's dead body in a random alley. "This has nothing to do with him! Just accept that Itadori is Sukuna's vessel! I have said this over and over again. I will take responsibility."

Utahime let out a reluctant sigh. She knew they were getting nowhere with Gojo. When he put his mind to something, he'd do it till he got it done. "Fine. I'm putting my life in your hands. Fuck it up and I'm never trusting nor contacting you again. Forget being the strongest, because if you try to protect him when that time comes, nothing will stop the rest of the jujutsu sorcerers from going after him."

"I know."

They walked back to the rest of the group, as Ieiri whispered to Nanami. "That was a low blow. You know how he feels about Geto."

"Maybe, but he needs to face the truth. I'm not letting a comrade wallow himself in self pity."

With that, everyone settled down. The air wasn't as tense as before, the students lighting up the adult's moods.