CHAPTER 67 - The Note

Start from the beginning

"Thank you guys," he says, his voice breaking. "I don't think I could do the whole, rock... thing..." his voice trails off, and he swallows and shakes his head, looking to the ground as he blinks away tears. "It's just a lot."

"That's okay, mate," Newt smiles. "I suppose it's all a bit overwhelming right now, especially for you, being out of action for so long and then suddenly, waking up in this strange place. It's so different from anywhere we've been before."

"Yeah," Thomas laughs weakly. "But... good different." He smiles warmly just as a chilly breeze cuts through the air, causing Thomas and I to gasp, my hair whipping across my face. Newt abruptly takes off his jacket and wraps it around my shoulders.

"Won't you get cold?" I ask, shivering slightly. 

"Warm-blooded, I guess," he responds with a smirk. 

"Jesus, glad I brought a blanket with me," Thomas shivers, stuffing his hands into his pockets. His brows furrow, and he pulls out a necklace with a little locket attached on it. "Oh... yeah, I forgot..." Newt and Thomas share a knowing look that I can't quite decipher. 

"What?" I ask. "Everything okay?"

"Y-Yeah, um..." Newt begins, scratching the back of his neck. "I forgot to mention... back in the Last City, when I was... not myself... I gave Thomas something. Well, you can open it, mate, but... if it's okay, could (y/n) and I take some time alone? I left some notes for you guys and well, I kinda want some privacy."

"Yeah, yeah sure," Thomas replies quickly. He hands the locket to Newt, who carefully opens the locket and passes a small, folded-up piece of paper to Thomas, and then another one to me. I hold it between my fingers, unopened, and I feel cold wash over my body. 

"I can see Brenda waving at me, I should go anyway," Thomas says. "Thanks, guys, for letting me walk with you... glad you're not forgetting about all of us while you're in your little... love bubble," he chuckles, with weak, hurt undertones. The look on his face implies he's got Teresa on his mind. 

"Ah, never," Newt smiles warmly. "Us Gladers stick together." Thomas nods in agreement, smiles weakly one last time, then jogs off back to the campfire. 

"So," I chuckle nervously. "What's this about? Should I be worried?"

Newt looks to the ground. "Um, it's just a little note, for if I didn't... if I wasn't able to say this stuff to you in person."

My eyebrows furrow together. "Oh, Newt," I say softly, rubbing his upper arm. I feel it tense, then relax as I continue to comfort him, pulling him in for a hug. His head sits atop of mine, and we breathe for a moment together, preparing ourselves for what's next. I slowly pull away from Newt, offering a small smile to hide the anxiousness in my face, and begin to shakily unfold the small white note. Upon the small rectangular sheet of paper are lines and lines of beautifully handwritten sentences, the writing small and cursive and elegantly scribed. I look up to Newt, his brown eyes searing into mine. 

"Here, shall we sit?" he suggests. I nod, and we sink into the sand beneath us, his arm wrapped around my back and gently touching my elbow. He rubs my skin softly as I take a deep breath, and I begin to read the note, the ink etched onto the paper in scrawly yet beautifully elegant handwriting. 

Dearest (y/n),

I'm writing this note on the rooftop of this bizarre warehouse in the Last City - the first note I can even remember writing. The clouds are passing by so quickly above my head, so many of them, and it's just reminding me of all the passing days that have flown by recently, so quickly. So many days spent with you, so many valuable memories and, my God, I just hope there's more to come but I'm not sure there will be. I suppose that's why I'm writing this - I need to tell you how much you have changed my life and make you see yourself in the beautiful, strong, kind way that I see every time I look into your eyes.