Chapter two || he had been a fool ||

The sun hit Wilhelm in the face, trying to wake him up and possibly, trying to warm up his now cold heart. He was still asleep, still unaware. It was one of the reasons Wilhelm slept that often. His thoughts would ebb away just slightly and that's the closest to escape he could get.

His chest was rising and falling slowly and in that vacant moment, he seemed so peaceful and so young. Like he could wake up and be happy, be free. But as we all know, nothing is what it seems which was proven once again when an alarm went off, the abrupt noise radiating throughout the room.

Wilhelm drew in a sharp breath and opened his eyes, to hastily close them again when he felt the light trying to break in. His hands ran over his face rapidly in an attempt to wake himself up again.

Lastly, Wilhelm sat up, the blanket up to his torso, and looked over the room. He sat there for god knows how long, just staring into space, feeling absolutely nothing.

A knock on the door, caused him to wake up once again and get himself dressed.

Clothed in a suit with dark grey pants, he strutted down the many hallways and stairs. Wilhelm attended breakfast at the table, accompanied by no one but himself and many staff walking in all kinds of directions around him.

It had seemed to become a tradition for him to be in total silence, surrounded by a storm.

Since he had that call with his mother, they hadn't exchanged many more words than " hello " and " goodbye ", which Wilhelm was completely fine with. He had lost all trust he once put into his mother. She had turned into this person Wilhelm didn't recognize, nor wanted to get to know.

She had protected someone who ruined her son's life, rather than her own son. She had told him " she had done this all for him" and that " she just wanted to protect him", but all of that was a great, misleading lie. She wanted to protect herself, her status, and the stupid monarchy. She didn't want anyone to know about her son whom had fallen in love with a boy in the working class.

Wilhelm didn't want to see her anymore. He felt a little bit more betrayed every time he saw her face and those features of which the motherly feeling lacked.

And so Wilhelm ate breakfast in silence and alone, just like he had been doing the past 18 days.

His parents stood next to each other on the driveway. His mother was academically dressed in a pink dress with blazer, accompanied by her husband. After saying goodbye to his parents, which was again very formal and passive, Wilhelm carried his bags into the car and forbid anyone else to do it for him. When he closed the car door and buckled his seatbelt, his face didn't budge and he didn't bother looking at his parents' faces for the last time in what would be a long time.

the engine roared, indicating the departure of the prince as Wilhelm decided to look out the window. Trees and buildings passed in his field of sight as all he could do was sense the tightness building up in his chest and his breathing getting audibly louder.

He unconsciously bit his fingernails, while he tried focusing on his breathing, using a technique he had once learned from Felice. Even though it helped a bit and Wilhelm was pretty sure he prevented an attack from forming for a while, the racing thoughts in his mind hadn't slowed down for even a second. With his hands propped up in his hair, Wilhelm closed his eyes momentarily, hoping and almost begging today would be over soon.

As the door got opened for him, Wilhelm tried to get a hold of his luggage first, before any of his guards would try and offer their help. He felt the strap of the bags digging into his shoulder, but he didn't complain and instead craved for the little feeling of freedom he had enabled.