Book Two: biggest surprise of all

Start from the beginning

   "How old is he?"

   He cleared his throat and coughed out a "sixty two". I stared at him unsurely. Sleeping with a man I love is one thing, sleeping with young men for money is another but carrying the child of an old man, I don't think so. He kept talking and trying to convince me, then he left his card with me, in case I change my mind.

   I stared at the card thoughtfully, lots and lots of thoughts going on in my head. Yes, in the past I slept with few men to get money for my children's treatment, but this was a whole new low for me. I couldn't do it, I shiver when I thought of me opening my legs for anymore man. That year was the worse for me. The insult, the uncomfortable positions I had to bear, the feeling of guilt and filth. But I had no other choice.

Still, this one was bad.

   What example would I be showing to my children? They might understand but it would change their view of me forever. I was able to hide what I did to keep them alive because there was no evidence, but this one was different, I would be carrying a child.

   My phone ringing broke through my thoughts. I pushed myself off the counter a little and reach into my pocket for my old phone. Serafina was calling. I got them small mobile phones to communicate when they needed something urgent. I slid the green icon up and placed the phone to my ear.

   "Mommy, mommy..." Serenity sobbed. I knew her voice, it was lighter and sweet. Plus, she mostly called me mommy.

   "Serene? What's going on? Why are you crying? Where's Sera?"

   "Mommy, it's Zayne and Zyaire," my heart literally dropped to my stomach, a sudden fear hit me so hard I almost found it hard to breathe. "Zayne was hungry, there was nothing at home to eat so we took the money you left to go buy snacks from Aunty Allison. On our way back, there was a motorcycle, it was coming too quickly, it was going to hit Zayne..." She burst into tears, I was already panicking.

   "Serene, give the phone to your sister! To anyone! Serene!..." I heard a small rustle before Zach's shaky voice came through.

   "Mom, Zyaire pushed Zayne out of the way, he got hit. Zayne on the other hand fell roughly, fell on his spine and..."

   "Just tell me where the freaking hospital is! Where are you!"

~~~~~~

   "I'm sorry, miss, but the fall kick-start his already rising disease, if we don't get the surgery done soon, your son might lose his ability to walk. As for the one that got hit, we have been able to sustain him but he needs immediate brain surgery. If not soon, he is likely to become a vegetable or worse. You have to hurry, ma'am, it's important they get their surgery, now." Her words reverberated in my head.

   I was blaming her for not helping me, but I knew it wasn't her fault. I stared at my children sleeping on the hospital bed in tears. Zayne didn't sustain anything but minor bruises, but he was crippled, using a wheelchair now and likely to die slowly. Zyaire was still in a coma, living on life support and I was afraid the new development would bring Serenity's problem fast. I was tired of praying and crying, but the tears wouldn't stop flowing. On top of that, I was fired.

   I ran out of work, the new manager didn't find it funny and didn't bother to hear my explanation, he just fired me. My bad luck didn't end there. The landlord came and gave me a week to get out. I was staying in the hospital because of fear of the cops looking for me, to arrest me for the money I was owing.

I did nothing to deserve this, why me?

~~~~~~

   Zachary and Serafina watched as Serenity struggle to push Zayne's chair. They sat outside, in the hospital park, trying to cheer him up. It wasn't easy to move from walking to cripple. The two older children wasn't happy or smiling, wasn't crying but their hearts bled for their siblings. They knew how much their mother was struggling and running around for money, but they knew it wouldn't bring any good result.