Chapter 3: It's kinda hot on you

" Aves, it's not like that," I chuckled

" Oh no, you can't 'Aves' me out of this! I need to know what happened," whined Ava, again.

Kayla pulled herself away from me and said, " It's nothing. Isaac was just being silly."

" Yeah, sure," gritted out Melanie. For some reason she was being really mean to Kayla, and Kayla completely ignored her.

Ava took it in her hands to neutralize the situation, " When it comes to Isaac, he's always silly!"

" Yeah, go on, have an insulting party, I'm not even here, right?" I huffed out in annoyance.

Ava ruffled my short hair and said, " It doesn't even matter if you are," and with her sickly sweet smile she sat down beside Melanie and started her own conversation with her.

While I was distracted by the random thoughts in my head, Kayla called out to someone. I tried to spot out the person and was quite surprised to see Ravi standing a couple of tables away.

" Hey, Ravi. What's up? Why are you even standing there?" I asked.

He stumbled over his words saying, " Uh, yeah, I'm good. I just gotta get food," he pointed towards the queue at the other part of the cafeteria, " so I'm just gonna go..."

I pointed at the two brown paper bags which sat on the table and casually said, " It's a Monday."

I had already analysed the pattern of Ravi's daily life. One of the main things I had picked up was, he can not, and by that I mean just can NOT, wake up early on a Monday. Hence he never got time to pick up food before school. And that's where I come in.

Every Monday, I would pick up lunch for both of us for two particular reasons.

One, I do not trust my cooking skills and can not pack lunch for both of us.

Two, no one deserves to eat school food.

" Oh- Well, thanks," he said, walking towards us.

Just when I was debating in my head whether to say something or not, I heard Kayla say, " You know what, Ravi, I have so much to talk to you about!"

" We just met today, Kayla," he said in a cold voice as he took a seat between Ava and Kayla on our circular table. Putting a lot of distance between Kayla and himself.

" Someone's in a bad mood today," I commented, trying to tease him.

" Fuck off, Isaac," he scoffed.

Melanie looked confused by Ravi's behaviour. She leaned forward and then towards her right, so that she could look at him and said, " What managed to crawl up your ass within the little walk to the table?"

" Stop acting like you know everything," Ravi replied.

Melanie sat up straight and in a confirmatory tone, she said, " Yup. He's extra cranky after the class."