CHAPTER 1

"So what do you need this for?" B'Elanna Torres asked. She placed a small piece of finely woven gold chain on the table in front.

"A history lesson," Chakotay replied cryptically, as he picked up the piece of gold chain and turned it over in the palm of his hand. "Actually, an object lesson."

B'Elanna nodded at him knowingly, before continuing.

"You know, I told Tom to get rid of this. I mean, after everything that happened. But I guess now I'm glad he hung on to it. At least it'll be useful for something."

Chakotay scraped his fingers over the smooth links of the chain, before he returned it to the table. "You being married to one of the greatest hoarders of Delta Quadrant memorabilia has its advantages, just occasionally," he teased.

"At least this souvenir is small," B'Elanna said. "Knowing Tom, he could've just as easily preserved and wall-mounted a severed limb from Species 8472 instead!"

They laughed in unison as they glanced around the little Italian cafe Chakotay had suggested for lunch, taking in the relaxed ambience of their coastal location and the smell of fresh tomatoes and herbs.

"So Chakotay, you've been invited to speak at the Academy again. You do know, if you keep accepting speaking assignments, there's a chance they might ground you permanently in exchange for tenure. Then Voyager will be minus her new Captain."

Chakotay nodded in agreement, although he was noncommittal about ever handing over the reins of Voyager. "The topic I've been assigned this time is Myths and Legends of the Delta Quadrant."

B'Elanna raised her eyebrows at him. "I guess that's why you asked if I still had the piece of chain."

"Exhibit A." Again Chakotay turned the object over.

"And if it weren't for the Doctor's ingenuity with a dermal regenerator, I could be your Exhibit B. I'm sure I've still got some internal battle scars from the time I spent on the Anawin planet."

"So you think its okay to talk about what happened, in detail?" Chakotay asked.

"I imagine all the myths and legends and symbolism embedded in the Anawin culture would make a great case study for any cadet."

He pulled out a PADD and turned it around so she could read a summary of his opening words.

"Your lesson plan? I've got time, if you want to rehearse. You seem concerned," B'Elanna said.

"I breached protocol. That's bound to come up," Chakotay replied.

"You had to make a decision. You followed your heart."

"And I don't regret it."

"But you're still worried about your choice of words and how they might affect the way the situation is viewed. I think a listening ear might help. You could run through the basics of your presentation with me," B'Elanna offered, before she grinned at him somewhat mischievously. "Or if you'd prefer, I could ask you whether the rumors are true. Admiral Janeway has become quite a celebrity. It was inevitable the media would link you two romantically. The valiant former Captain and her dedicated First Officer. It makes for a great story and it wouldn't be implausible, now that we're home. Then again, you can't believe everything you hear..."

B'Elanna paused, waiting for his response.

Chakotay smiled, more relaxed.

They were old friends, good friends. Their friendship had withstood all the events that life as a reformed Maquis in the Delta Quadrant had thrown at them – raging battles, new loyalties, the death of friends, foreign allies and enemies. And after seven years with Chakotay in the role of First Officer, and B'Elanna Torres as Chief Engineer, aboard the displaced Federation Starship Voyager, they would share in the crew's glorious homecoming.