❍ 𝟓 - 𝐏𝐨𝐬𝐭 𝐌𝐞𝐫𝐢𝐝𝐢𝐞𝐦

They'd been lucky to get a booth inside.

The weather was proving unpredictable.  A brisk wind had cleared away the morning's rain clouds and they'd ended up not needing their umbrellas. But everyone who thought to take advantage of a warm sunny June day being back on the menu by sitting on the diner's cramped terrace was getting a free side dish of exhaust with their lunches. The unusual midday traffic jam on the boulevard being the day's special.

Maya stabbed at her Caesar salad. A wedge of Gracie's tuna on rye swam in and out the edges of her vision as her friend gestured excitedly.

"Wait till you see the centerpieces my sisters are getting for the tables. Pink zucchinis!"

Maya flicked aside a stubborn crouton stuck to her fork.

"I'm glad we went with the Same Penis Forever theme. My grandmother's going to bust her gut laughing. Not sure how my mother'll take it but whatever. It's my bachelorette party. Couldn't invite grams without inviting her. I'm doing a separate spa afternoon with her and Kyle's mom anyway."

The waiter stopped near their booth. The crisp smell of cinnamon that trailed after him had Maya glancing over. Creamy rivulets of melting ice cream were dribbling down the wedge of warm apple pie the waiter served to the man seated at a table beside them.

"My cousin Christine still hasn't rsvp-d. Cheap ass bitch probably doesn't want to cough up for a gift."

A gift. That's right. I need to get one soon.

"Oh! My sisters want to set up a props photo booth at the party too."

The waiter reached into his apron pocket for his order tablet. Maya frowned as his fingers swiped through his billing screens, then she blinked, a "payment confirmed" message flashing in her memory. I ordered concert tickets last night. I did get a gift for Gracie already. Why did she think she hadn't before?

An angry volley of car horns accompanied two men who came through the diner door.

"Fuckin' traffic is nuts today," Maya overheard the one sporting a faded red cap say. "Every suit and tie this mornin' thinks my cab's got wings." He flapped his hands in the air. "It's a bird! It's a plane! It's a fucking flying taxi! Yeah, right." The men got in line at the order counter. "I had three fares to the airport offer me extra if I got them there before flights. 'Sorrys buddies,' I says, 'Today, walking'd be fuckin' faster.'"

"Yeah, I had a pick up across the river. Took me over an hour instead of fifteen minutes," said the other who sported only a stringy comb-over. "Phone kept cutting out when I tried to tell dispatch. My GPS ain't working right, neither. Keeps giving me directions to drive to Australia."

Red cap slapped his hair-impaired friend's shoulder.

"Whatsa matter, Gerry?" he laughed. "Can't hold your fuckin' breath long enough under the ocean to go visit the kangaroos?"

The two ordered coffees to go.

"Maya!"

She snapped her head forward. Gracie was scowling at her.

"Sorry, what?"

Gracie huffed. "Girl, have you been listening to anything I said? I asked you what time your brother's coming over for Zoe's pizza dinner tonight." She eyed Maya critically. "Maya, are you ok? You seem really out of it today."

Maya shrugged. "Sorry Gracie. Ever get the feeling you're forgetting something important but can't think what it is?" Before today I can't say I ever have.