21 | A Little Bit of Luck

Start from the beginning

The said Malfoy made a face. "It's the first day of a new semester, Granger," he grounded out. "I thought the purpose of this meeting was to tell Longbottom and Lovegood that I'm a time traveller from the future."

"Yes that, and the fact that I already have a plan," she said, frowning at his whining.

He would have loved to protest more. After all, it really was the first day of the new semester. Admittedly, he may be stalling a bit because the idea of infiltrating the Lestranges' vault and retrieving Hufflepuff's Cup greatly unnerved him. Bellatrix may have been already long dead during his time, but history books and stories from his father made him scared shiteless of the woman. The fact that she was actually living and breathing this day, and still undoubtedly insane, made his stomach churn.

Finally, he decided it was futile to argue with Hermione Granger. The little row she had with Weasley a while ago was enough proof. "Fine, let's hear it," he said.

She nodded her head and sat up straighter. He would have found it comical, but he was too nervous about the plan she had concocted.

"You should owl your aunt and tell her there is an artefact housed in the Lestrange vault that could aid you in fixing the Vanishing Cabinet," she started.

"That would have been a nice plan, if only there is an artefact that could do that," he pointed out.

"Oh, there is," she stated matter-of-factly. Hermione rummaged in her robe pocket and pulled out a sheet of paper. She passed it on to Scorpius and he peered at its contents; the other members of the DA Core also looked at the paper out of curiosity.

On the paper was an image of a golden quill, with it waving around and emitting golden sparks out of its nib. "The Golden Quill of Evanora," he murmured aloud. Knitting his eyebrows, he looked back at Hermione. "And how, pray tell, will this help me in my task of fixing the Vanishing Cabinet?"

Hermione shrugged her shoulders. "It won't," she said. "It's just a pretty and useless, albeit priceless, quill possessed by the Lestranges. As the name implies, it was once owned by a rich witch, Evanora Dispera, the inventor of Vanishing Cabinets."

Scorpius absentmindedly nodded. He came across her name one too many times during his research.

"That quill is merely for show, but Bellatrix does not need to know that," she continued. "You can tell that if you retrieved that quill from the Lestrange vault, it would help you immediately fix the Vanishing Cabinet since the quill was once owned by the inventor herself. I don't really know much about Bellatrix, but I do know that she's a fanatic of your 'Dark Lord'. I'm sure she'd buy your excuse, since she is eager to please her beloved Lord."

"She may be insane, but she's not stupid, Granger," Scorpius said with a frown. "What makes you think she'll agree to my plan?"

"Because," she started, "your family had fallen out of glory and she'd do anything she could to bring you back into Voldemort's good graces. These are dark days for the Malfoy family."

Scorpius scowled, but pocketed the paper anyway. "Fine, all right, I'll send a letter to my mother tonight," he said. "If this did not work, I'm going to blame you, Granger."

"Oh trust me," she replied with the most confident smile on her face. "This will work."

__________

Scorpius skipped dinner that night and went straight to his bedroom. He immediately grabbed a blank parchment, his quill and an inkpot to pen a letter to his mother.

Dear Mother,

I have researched that a certain artefact can help me aid in fixing the Vanishing Cabinet. The Golden Quill of Evanora is found inside the Lestranges' vault and I beseech you to help me ask permission from Aunt Bellatrix. I'm sure if she heard that this could help me in immediately fixing the cabinet, she would agree to it.