"Definitely. But, not a normal witch."

"What does that mean? Not normal?"

"She said that most witches, their powers come from within and nature. Typically, they are able to draw their powers from within themselves to display it outwards with their powers. But there are a very small number who are born with what can be likened to a defect. Victoria still has powers and the ability to showcase them. But, she isn't able to find the energy or magic to preform them from within herself. She has to steal it from other supernatural creatures. Like other witches, werewolves, or vampires. It gives witches like her a temporary fill to use magic normally for a set amount of time. It's like lighting a candle and burning it. Except, when the candle flame goes out, she can't reignite it on her own - she has to take someone else's. Witches call her kind syphoners, and in most circles they are considered abominations and outcast from their families."

"Why?"

"People are always afraid of the things they don't understand."

"What about those vision things she had? Like knowing what vampires looked like?"

"Emily thinks because those aren't an outward display of power, that it doesn't require the same energy that spells use. We also think that, maybe that's why she can be compelled as well. Witches are usually immune to compulsion, but if Victoria doesn't have magic constantly inside of her to protect her form it - to may what's causing the defect."

"Can Emily help her?"

"Yes, she can show her how to control her ability. Like most young children exhibiting magical powers for the first time, she can't control it - especially if emotions are running high."

"What about teaching her how to use the power?"

"Emily isn't a Syphoner, so she doesn't understand fully her powers and how they work. But she is going to do her best."

"Are you going to tell her?" Stefan asked, looking at his little sister.

"I will soon. For now you two finish eating, I'll be back soon," and then Katherine was gone.

"What did she say?" Victoria asked after Katherine left, assuming they'd been talking about her if it was in whispers.

"Katherine will tell you when she is ready. Finish eating and then you can play outside for a little longer."

"If it's about me, I should be allowed to know," she was whining, hating for secrets to be kept about her.

"Don't argue with me," he tried to sound firm.

"Fine," she let the matter go, but she was still pouting.

~~~

A few days later Katherine finally sat Victoria down and explained to her about what they'd learned. "So am I going to be able to do spells like Emily?" Victoria asked, not quite understanding what Katherine meant other than she was a real witch.

"She can teach you how, but the only way for you to be capable of preforming them is by taking energy from vampires, witches, or werewolves."

"Can I take it from you and Emily?"

"You have to ask Emily that, but I will allow you to syphon from me in the proper setting. Emily has warned me that young witches don't have good control over their powers. You are liable to loose control and siphon until I collapse. And when you have power to use - it can run rapid if you don't know how to control it or if you have emotions running high."

"When can we start?"

Katherine smiled, glad to see she was eager. Katherine wanted to have her trained to become a powerful witch to use her. She'd be even more valuable than Emily once she learned to control herself.  "After the Christmas season. When Damon leaves again." He was coming in two days for the holiday and she didn't currently plan on Damon knowing about this world.

Stefan came into the sitting room, where the two were still talking. "Did you tell her?"

"Yes. And she's very excited to start learning," Katherine said with a smile.

"Well let's hope she keeps that excitement up for school. You have a paper you need to be writing. It's due before the Christmas holiday."

"Will you help me?" The girl asked, getting up from her spot on the floor.

"Sure, let's go to the dining table and I will help you," Katherine agreed.

"When Damon gets home, we are going to have a snowball fight," Victoria started to say before she sneezed.

"I don't think you'll be going outside to play for a few days," Stefan said after hearing the sneeze.

"I'm not sick!" She insisted.

"And we want to keep it that way. So you will stay inside where it is warm until that sneeze goes away." Stefan told her flatly after she sneezed again and rubber her nose.

"That's not fair," she whined.

"That's too bad. So stop pouting." She stamped her feet the whole way to the dining room, but didn't say another word about it.

*edited