3

1856
Stefan - 9
Damon - 16
Victoria - 2

They started to notice that something was different about Victoria when she was two, she'd fallen when toddling around the yard and scrapped her knee. It was a small injury, nothing unusual for a child to get. But it took nearly twice as long as it should've to heal - and the doctor had no explanation as to why.

"So you have to be careful with your sister, and make sure she doesn't get hurt." Lillian explained after the doctor visit. "She takes a long time to heal. And the doctor said her bones aren't as strong as they should be."

"Yes mama!" Stefan and Damon both promised.

Their mother smiled, "I knew I could count on you two."  She covered her mouth afterwards to cough.
"Are you okay mama?" Stefan asked.

"Yes baby, it's just a cough. Probably just a cold. Now, your father is away for work, and I'm heading into town for the day - so I'm trusting you boys to watch your little sister until I get back. Can you two handle that?"

"Yes ma'am!" Damon nodded, of course he could handle it - he'd probably end up just watching both Stefan and Victoria.

"Alright, I'm heading out now. Victoria is still in the kitchen eating, when she's done take her to the sitting room and she can play there."

"Okay mama!" Stefan said as both brothers went to the door with Lillian to wave goodbye as she walked towards the carriage she had prepared for herself.
After she left, both boys raced to the sitting room, "let's play chess! I've been practicing!" Stefan said, grabbing the chess board.

"I'm still going to win!" Damon let Stefan set up the board and pick which color he wanted to be - which was always black, he liked how they shined.

They were still playing chess when Gloria brought Victoria into the sitting room, "forget about someone?" The woman asked.

"Oh! Sorry Gloria. Sorry Victoria!" Damon ran and grabbed his baby sister, holding her close to him.
"I just changed her. So she should be good for awhile. But if she starts grabbing herself that means she needs to go, so put her on a pot, your mama is trying to get her to going only in a pot these days."

"Yes ma'am." Damon answered, playing with Victoria's little hand as the toddler babbled incoherently - only a few words understandable at times.

"Daedae." She called Damon suddenly with a giggle. She'd been calling him that lately - not able to say his full name so she just went for saying the first syllable twice.

"You wanna play with your Noah's ark?" He asked her.

"Yuh!" She said the word 'yes' in her own baby language.

He went over to where a wooden box kept some of the child's toys inside and brought out a homemade version of Noah's ark that had an opening where a door could've gone and inside was filled with small wooden animals. He brought it over and put it in front of the little girl, she clapped and made a loud sound of delight before she reached inside the toy to bring out the animals.

"Okay, let's get back to our game." Damon smiled and sat back across from his brother.

After two more chess games, Stefan was finished playing and started to clean up. While he was putting the pieces away he said, "I wanna go to the pond," they had a small pond near the property that Stefan liked to swim in during the summer months.

"We're watching Victoria. We can't take her out to the pond."

"Why not?"

"Because mama said to be careful with her. She is too little to swim and could get hurt."