20 | Stupid Thoughts, Stupid Feelings

Start from the beginning

"How in Merlin's name did you know where our common room is?" he demanded as he hopped down from the rich black leather couch he was sitting on to stomp closer to Hermione.

The brunette briefly admired the stark difference between the Slytherin and Gryffindor common rooms before answering him, "I've known its location since second year." She shook her head and invited herself over to sit on one of the couches. "Did you seriously think only Slytherins know where your common room is?"

Scorpius harrumphed and sat across Hermione. "Well, Hogwarts: A History never really mentioned the location of the common rooms and I've never seen anyone from another house before, so I assumed the location of common rooms are top secret."

Hermione merely shrugged and leaned forward. "Anyway, do you have plans tonight?" she inquired.

"What about tonight?"

She rolled her eyes. "It's New Year's Eve, Malfoy," she said. "It's sad if you plan on being cooped up inside your dormitory for the whole day."

"And what is wrong with that?" he demanded, slightly affronted. "This year had been a serious fuck up so I'd rather call it an early night and sleep the fucked up year away."

"Like I said, sad," she tutted with a shake of her head. "Why don't you come over to the kitchens tonight? The house-elves can whip up wicked hot cocoa."

Scorpius cocked an eyebrow. "I thought you're a firm believer of house-elf rights and welfare and made that ridiculous spew?"

Her cheeks reddened in embarrassment and annoyance. "It's S.P.E.W. and I've long accepted the fact that what they love to do the most is to serve other people," she spat with a frown. "Besides, they're well-compensated by Dumbledore and he even allowed me to give them as much knitted clothes as possible!"

"Alright, alright, geez, no need to get your knickers in a twist," he said, the infamous Malfoy smirk on his face. "And fine, I'll accompany you in the kitchens later tonight since the lady wishes it."

"Good," she said, jumping back onto her feet.

"Where are you going?" he asked, confused.

Hermione swivelled around. "Well, I'm catching up on some reading so see you at 7 pm in front of the portrait of a fruit bowl. You can get to the kitchens if you—"

"I know where the entrance to the kitchens is, Granger," he cut her off with a mischievous smile. "I've known since I was a first year."

"Why am I not surprised?" she asked with a sigh. "Anyway, see you later, Malfoy."

"Yeah, okay, see you."

__________

"You're early," Hermione said with a smile.

Scorpius shrugged and pushed himself off the wall. "I've got nothing to do, if you must know," he said.

"You're done with holiday homework?"

The Slytherin made a face. "We still have five days to go," he pointed out. "There's plenty of time."

He watched as she bristled and was about to retort something back, but it amused him when she merely clamped her lips shut and took a deep sigh. "Whatever," she murmured under her breath, then proceeded to tickle the pear on the painting of the fruit bowl. The fruit giggled before a doorknob materialised.

Scorpius followed her inside and was instantly greeted with the bustling noises of house elves, banging pans, chopping, and boiling. He took a deep breath and grinned; everything smelled delicious and his mouth started to water.