19 | Of Lockets and Cups

Start from the beginning

"Positively sure," he said with a resolute nod. "Regulus trusted his house-elf to destroy the locket, but as we all know, only Fiendfyre and basilisk venom could destroy it. Apparently, house-elf magic still proved powerless against horcruxes."

"Well, good luck on asking help from that menace," Ron spat, making a face. "He'd been nothing but horrendous to us ever since the Order occupied this house." Then, gesturing to Harry, he continued, "Harry could always try since technically, he owns Kreacher now, but the house-elf disliked listening to anyone that isn't a Pureblood."

Scorpius quirked an eyebrow. "I'm pretty sure you're a Pureblood, Weasley," he pointed out.

"Well, actually, we're Blood Traitors," Ginny corrected with a serene smile. "We still don't count, Malfoy."

The Malfoy heir shrugged. "We still could try," he said. "Regulus' dying wish was for Kreacher to do whatever it takes to destroy the horcrux. If Kreacher discovered we could help him, I'm sure he'd comply."

"We could do that, yes," Hermione said with a solemn nod. "But I think we should do that later at night." She looked at her watch and sighed. "It's nearing lunch and you know how Mrs. Weasley gets when we're late for lunch."

"All right," Scorpius said, resolutely nodding. "Let's meet up here again at 8 pm sharp."

__________

8 pm came sooner than Scorpius had expected. Now, he found himself inside the cramped attic once more, this time with a delightful addition to his small group.

Kreacher was a far cry from his prim and proper Ditzy. The old house-elf was dirty and smelly, the pillowcase covering his small body smeared with different stains Scorpius did not wish to point out. To complete his horrible appearance, a dark scowl marred his wizened face.

"You called for Kreacher, Harry Potter, sir?" the house-elf croaked, and Scorpius slightly flinched at how he spat 'sir' to address his reluctant owner.

Potter made a face and glared at Scorpius, silently telling him it was all his fault he had to interact with the annoying house elf. "Yes, well," the raven-haired boy started, "it has come to my knowledge that you possess Slytherin's locket, which was given to you by Regulus Black."

Unsurprisingly, Kreacher stiffened. A look of distrust coloured his face, his narrowed eyes suspiciously glancing from one Gryffindor to another.

"Kreacher does not know anything about a locket, Harry Potter, sir," he snarled. "Great Master Regulus Black never left a locket to Kreacher, Harry Potter, sir."

"Cut the crap, Kreacher," Ron growled, annoyed with his defensiveness. He suddenly grabbed him by the collar and dragged him closer to him. "We know that you're hiding Slytherin's locket and we really fucking need it."

"Ron!" Hermione exclaimed, aghast with his actions. "Quit it!"

The redhead reluctantly let go of the frightened house-elf, who scrambled as far away from Ron as possible.

"Kreacher," Hermione called, this time with a levelled voice. "Please, we really need that locket. We understand that your previous master asked you to destroy it, and we know that you've tried your hardest for the past few years. But then, the locket proved to be difficult to destroy and you've been reverently hiding it and honouring the request of your master."

Scorpius watched as the house-elf's eyes grew wide like golf balls, and he honestly thought Hermione had finally convinced him to cooperate, but to their utmost surprise, Kreacher spat at her feet and bared his teeth. "Kreacher does not let himself be ordered by mudbloods."