Chapter 29 | Part I

Abigail

A week passes by after Bianca's incident and if there's one good think that came out of it, me and Bianca are friends again. I knew it was gonna happen sooner or later and that one of us will come around. But the best part is she seems to like Ash. Since Ash didn't let me go see Bianca alone, she was there all of the time and if I had known a little bit of time spent together was all they needed to understand each other I would have made it happen long ago. Alex still wasn't keen on Ash but she spoke on friendly terms and if Ash paid attention to anyone else besides me during all those times, it was Bianca.

I drove Bianca to her first check up today because I forced Alex to stay back and get some sleep. Ash has a busy day and she left early in the morning, promising to be back no later than eleven pm.

"Do you want to get lunch later?" I ask Bianca and she nods as wait for the doctor to call her inside. Nia kept coming to check on us and this is the fourth time she came back during duty.

"Don't you have any kids crying about to cure or something?" I ask her as she walks towards us again with a huge smile. Nia is a pediatrician and as far as I've heard she's a favorite among the kids.

"Miss Smith?" a nurse comes out of the doctor's room with a file in her hands. "He'll see you now."

"Right. I'll be back." Bianca says and walks after the nurse.

Nia sits next to me on Bianca's seat.

"So... How's things with you and Ash?" she asks.

"We're good..." I say, it shouldn't be like this. It was never awkward between me and my friends no matter what happened between us. Everything has changed and and I'm the only one to blame.

I take a deep breath and push my thoughts aside.

"Nia? Uh... Can I ask you something?"

"Yeah? Go on," she says, looking concerned.

"When I came here last week, I accidentally went to the fourth floor instead of the third and mistook room 605 with 506 and went inside and there was this girl-"

"You went to room 605?!" Nia gasps, cutting me off.

"Yes and there was the really sick girl-"

"Abigail! Why would you go there without asking someone?! Are you crazy?" Nia exclaims.

"It was an accident! My head wasn't in the right place and all I could think of was seeing Bianca okay?"

"Look." Nia's voice softens, "The girl in that room is a mentally unstable patient. We're not supposed to even keep her here but the hospital director is friends with her father and he asked if she could get treated here,"

"Why? Where is she from?"

"She's Canadian and she's like this because her boyfriend broke up with her or something like that. And they sent her here three months ago for a change of environment."

"And how long has she been like this?"

"I'm not exactly sure but she's in her late twenties now and this happened when she was still in high school. She gives no responses no matter what we try... It's sad really, what love can do to a person. She doesn't even look any of use in the eye,"

"But she talked to me?"

"What are you talking about?" Nia asks.

"She spoke to me. And she held my wrist and didn't let me go."

"Abigail if you're lying-"

"Why would I lie?! I'm serious. She kept saying-"

"Hold on! Give me a second, I'll be right back." Nia says and walks in hurried steps, out of my sight.