Treason

"Physician Han, is her condition favourable to continue with everything in the months ahead?"

Emperor Sinjong has called Physician Han again at night, as he is feeling anxious now. How long can he hide this news? 

"Her Highness is in good health. Her physical condition is favourable, but mentally she might face some difficulties as the previous pregnancy was so unexpected and ended horribly for her. Her present condition will remind her of the previous," Physician Han explains.

"I trust you, Physician Han. Keep your eyes on her. Don't report anything about this checking to anyone except me. The previous one was so unpredictable and unexpected from an unknown enemy. I don't think an intruder dared to do everything alone. But the dead man tells no tales. Everything was so perfect that I still don't know whom to believe and whom not to believe. I can't rely on anyone nor am I brave enough to lose anyone else," Sinjong says with grief. He knows that Royal Physician Han is a trustworthy attendant who he can believe. He has proven himself as loyal to Emperor Sinjong several times.

"Your Imperial Majesty, don't worry. I can keep it a secret up to the third month of pregnancy. But from then she will start to show. Using loose robes it can be kept hidden up to the fourth month," Physician Han says.

"Still there will be more months ahead. Do what she needs right now. Even if it's hidden, she needs to be taken care of," the Emperor says with an anxious voice.

"She can not be on any contraceptive herbs during this time. There will be a change in the food list. Surprisingly, contraceptives don't work on her."

"But this is not because of contraceptive failure this time. It's because," Emperor Sinjong shutters as a plan suddenly starts to make up in his brain.

____________________________

Concubine Seo wipes the falling tears from her eyes. She heard everything when Emperor Sinjong said it. Her sleep was broken a long time ago. She was conscious during that time.

He wanted to keep this pregnancy a secret. But why? Is he not in a state to accept the baby? Maybe he never was. The first one happened so suddenly. The palace kept that pregnancy secret too and didn't let anyone know in all parts of the palace. 

But everything ended like it never happened.

Concubine Seo whimpers thinking that why should it be her always. What wrong did she do to deserve this type of life? It's not like she had anything to do to stop life from being created inside her.

"I will protect you no matter what," She holds herself from being emotional.

_________________________

Emperor Sinjong sends off his mother and helps to ride in a palanquin. Queen Mother Gongwon will go to the province of her birthplace. She will pray for her ancestors there and will stay there with her brother's family for one week or more.

As the palanquin of the Queen Mother leaves the palace, the Emperor steps towards the concubine palace. He plans that royal physician, Physician Han, will be there from before to check up on Concubine Seo in the morning and will announce the news of the pregnancy to Emperor Sinjong in front of maids and eunuchs. 

No one can deny that the Queen Mother's birthday festival is the most appropriate day to announce such news. The news will reach the Queen Mother on the way to her province. The Emperor will seek to pray for their new heir and her blessing. At the end of the ritual, the Goddess has blessed the Representative of the Dragon Goddess with life and the Representative Concubine has gifted the Queen Mother a blessing on her birthday. 

The news of the pregnancy will be announced to the general people of Goryeo. Who would dare to harm a life gifted by the Goddess and gifted to the Queen Mother on her birthday? The enemy wouldn’t have any chances to harm Concubine Seo after this news, as he is going to take cautious steps from now on.

____________________________

"Where is Her Highness? And for what you are kept in his palace to nurse her?" Eunuch Won Jo shouts at the maids working on the East Wing of the concubines' palace. Concubine Seo is missing right now from the concubines' palace.

"We don't know anything. Her Highness said not to disturb her until she calls for any need. We had nothing to do," one maid says in a timid voice.

"Don't you know she is sick? What's your duty except serving her?" Eunuch Won Jo keeps yelling.

Meanwhile, Eunuch Jung appears and whispers something in Won Jo's ear.

"You go explain then," Won Jo says in an anxious voice.

__________________________

"Her Highness is not in the concubines' palace, nor anywhere in the palace. No palace guards have yet stated about any concubine's appearance in any part of the palace," Eunuch Jung tries to explain.

"She can't vanish overnight. Even the royal physician has said he checked herself sleeping last night. Keep searching everywhere until she can be found out," Emperor Sinjong says in an anxious voice.

"Your Imperial Majesty, everyone is still looking for Her Highness. But the guards of the gatekeeper were saying about a suspicious court lady from the royal kitchen suddenly leaving early this morning," Eunuch Jung takes a break to engage Sinjong's opinion.

"Suspicious court lady? Why are you bringing something that's not related to Concubine Seo? Wait ... Don't say you are suspecting that court lady as her? Yun Hee is a concubine, not a court lady. But check that court lady's information from the royal kitchen authority. Don't let them know who is missing," The Emperor says quickly.

Eunuch Jung bows and begins to take his leave.

"Eunuch Jung, send a palace guard to me. He has to send some news to the Queen Mother. And prepare the royal guards to announce the news to the general people. I will write my order for what to announce. Keep no confusion even on the maids that Concubine Seo is missing. Even make up a rumor that Concubine Seo has been found in the garden," he says while measuring each step.

Escaping from the palace without any permission is an act of treason or betrayal towards the Emperor for a concubine like her. Emperor Sinjong can't let anyone have any confusion about Concubine Seo as the punishment for such treason is death.

***********************