Estelle moved into a sitting position and Azriel joined her on the bed. "I told you you'd make it someday," he said. "I just wish it hadn't cost you so much."

Estelle swallowed. "Am I...all right? My wings?"

Azriel gestured for her to lean forward and she complied. His scarred hands were gentle as he brushed them across the area on her wings where the chains had injured her. "Madja was able to heal the wounds and stave off any lingering effects of the ashwood. You'll be all right. There are scars though. Mikael is going to have some too."

Estelle breathed a sigh of relief. She could live with scars. That was better than losing her wings entirely. "How did this happen, Little Bat?" Azriel asked.

"I'll explain everything when Mikael and I can tell the story together. I don't want to repeat it more than is necessary, so everyone who needs to hear it right away should be with us when we share it."

Azriel gave a slow nod and pulled her into his arms. "You will be the death of your mother and I someday."

Estelle closed her eyes with a smile. "Give Lys some credit too, Dad."

"Lysander hasn't disappeared and nearly died three times in the span of a few months."

"Give him time." Estelle opened her eyes after a moment. "Starfall is in a few days."

"Are you still going to be mated?" She nodded against Azriel's shoulder. He sighed, hugging her tighter still. "It's going to be hard without you here."

"I guess training in the Dawn Court and Windhaven has helped us all get ready for the adjustment," Estelle replied. "And I'll visit so much that you won't even notice the moments when I'm not here."

"I'll always notice, Little Bat. I'll always be waiting for you to come home, or say that you need me. That's what I do. That's what your mother does. That's what Lysander does. It's what you do."

"I know. I Iove you, Dad."

"I love you too." Azriel stroked her hair gently. He released her when the door opened, revealing Madja.

"Is Mikael all right?" Estelle asked at once.

"He's fine. He wants to see you. Let me check you over before you try to get up. Would you like me to help you over to his room?" Madja leaned over her, tilting her head from side to side.

"I'll take her," Azriel offered. "I'm sure you're ready for a rest." Madja flashed him a grateful smile and resumed her inspection.

◦═══✦═══◦

"I specifically told you to stay out of trouble," Thesan scolded as he hugged Mikael.

"I'm sorry, Father," Mikael replied. "But it wasn't my fault this time."

"We know." Ameer nudged Thesan aside and embraced Mikael too. "Rhysand told us you were entered into the Blood Rite. It was all I could do to keep Thesan from strangling Devlon."

Mikael glanced at Thesan, who merely shrugged with a sheepish smile. "Well, I'm glad you didn't. His child would've grown up fatherless."

Thesan raised his eyebrows. "Jorah is pregnant? I hadn't noticed."

"You didn't?" Ameer gave him an incredulous look.

"You did?"

Mikael straightened as the door opened. He gave a breathless sigh of relief as Azriel helped Estelle into the room. Thesan scooted over, making room for her. She crawled onto the bed and slipped her arms around Mikael. He held her tightly and she pressed a kiss to his cheek.