Chapter 32

The Queen approached, the portly gentleman bowing once more, backing towards the door. Waverly wasn't sure whether to bow or curtsey, deciding it was probably more polite to curtsey. The Queen acknowledged her presence with a small nod of the head, studying Waverly's face, then her clothing. "You are William's daughter," she began, "the one getting married."

Waverly nodded.

"Is this what you wore to your wedding?" the Queen asked.

Waverly shook her head.

"Speak child. Why are you dressed in men's clothing?"

"Because...because, I was running away."

"Running away, from your own wedding dressed like this."

"To France. To be with Nicole."

The Queen looked perplexed. "Did you not want to be married?"

Waverly shook her head. "I was doing it to save my father and my family."

The Queen looked even more perplexed. "You were prepared to be married because of them. Why not for love?"

Waverly was now the one wearing a puzzled expression. "Because I love another. One I am not allowed to be with."

"Who is that?" the Queen asked.

"Nicole Haught. Nicholas Haught's daughter."

"Ah, Nicholas. That old rogue. I am assuming his daughter is as spirited as he is."

Waverly nodded. "Always gets herself into trouble. I'm so very sorry she did this. She doesn't mean to be this naughty."

"I am assuming you were given little choice in the matter of marriage. I must say I am a little annoyed with your father. I gave him instructions you were to marry for love. He assured me that was so."

Waverly gasped. "My father may have believed so. He doesn't know I love Nicole, although I'm guessing it would not have made much difference. Marrying James is the respectable thing to do."

"Really?" the Queen asked. "To marry without love is a tragedy. What a sad life you would have led. Trapped inside something from which you would seek escape, like a butterfly, wings beating against glass for freedom."

Waverly's mouth was now open. The Queen of England was on the same page as her and Nicole, Waverly wanting to hug the woman standing before her.

"My child, you look shocked. Have I said something to offend?"

"I...I am that butterfly."

"May I ask?" the Queen said, guiding Waverly to an armchair by the fire. "If I were to give you a choice, who would you choose?"

"Nicole," Waverly declared, without hesitation.

The Queen smiled. "And, if I were to give Nicole the same choice, who would she choose?"

"I'm hoping me."

"Shall we ask her? But, I must ask something of you. If you would hide behind that screen and let Nicole answer freely."

Waverly looked to where the Queen was pointing. "Anything, if it means we can be together."

Nicole was escorted to the room, Waverly now hiding from view, praying Nicole would say what she most wanted to hear. Still in handcuffs, recognising the Queen immediately, Nicole curtseyed, her gaze lowered.

The Queen stood before her. "Nicole Haught, you do appear to cause trouble wherever you go."

"I can explain," Nicole replied, Waverly almost about to tell her to stop, knowing it would probably get her into even more trouble.