Chapter 24

Waverly began to unbutton her coat, her leather gloves remaining on, her woollen beret slightly skewed to one side on her head. Nicole watched, bemused at yet another change of heart by Waverly. Coat removed, flung on the bed, she began to release her Girton tie, tugging the knot away from her neck, slipping it with one hand. With her tie hanging round her neck, she managed to get two of her blouse buttons undone before realising she still was wearing gloves.

Her hands shaking, she struggled to release the dainty button at the wrist, fumbling to get her fingers to perform what normally would be an easy task. "Are you going to help me," she demanded, bringing one glove to her mouth, hoping her teeth would have better purchase. It was no use. The gloves remained on. "Nicole! Are you going to just sit there and watch?"

"Oh, definitely sit here and watch," Nicole replied, confusion turning to amusement as she witnessed Waverly's desperate desire to rid herself of clothing. "I'm rather enjoying the performance. Do continue."

Waverly howled with frustration, abandoning her attempt to extract her hands from their coverings, returning her attention once more to her blouse. Nicole put down her pen, turning her chair slightly to have a better viewing position, one arm slung over the back. "Nicole, help me. And, stop looking at me. It's putting me off."

"I can close my eyes if you like. But, where would the fun be in that? And, no I will not help you. If you want to remove all your clothes in my presence then you must do so on your own."

"Fine. Then I won't. See if I care."

"Oh, but you do care. You care very much, otherwise you wouldn't be doing this."

"I hate you. I really hate you right now," Waverly shouted, returning once more to her gloves. Managing to pull one off, she threw it on the floor. "There. See. I don't need your help. I can do it by myself."

"Well done. And, now the other glove."

"Don't patronise me," Waverly screamed. "Don't you dare patronise me, Nicole Haught. I'm doing this for you. Don't you realise."

"Precisely. You're doing this for me. For my entertainment. What about doing this for you for once. Are you not important enough to merit consideration? Or, are you going to remain a doll forever?"

Waverly stopped, her ungloved hand hovering over the button of the gloved one, Nicole's words sinking into her. "I am doing this for me. Damn you. I'm doing this for me."

Nicole picked up the glove, handing it to Waverly. "Don't thank me."

"I'm not going to," she snapped, snatching the glove, no longer knowing what to do. "You've ruined the moment. You want me to marry James, don't you?"

"Waverly, come, sit, tell me what's worrying you. Tell me why you came rushing in like this."

Waverly sat on the chair vacated by Nicole, leaving Nicole to find the edge of the bed. "Everyone is telling me what to do," she began. "I had the telescope, but James took it from me and he saw you. And, you were happy without me. You were waving and you were so far away from me."

"Right. So, if I'm reading this correctly, you and James were in a room and I wasn't. But, you saw me through the telescope. Then James saw me through the telescope. And, apparently I was happy."

"Then your mother told me not to be with you. And, Wynonna said I wouldn't have children if I was with you."

"I see. And, what did you say to all these people telling you what to do?"

"Say? I...I didn't say anything. Well, not directly. I woke up shouting stop if that's what you mean."

Nicole smiled. "It's a start."